Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Auschwitz-II, Birkenau Barracks returned to site

Article about: Recently, this story was covered by members of the world press. The loan period now expired, half of the barrack - originally from the Theresienstadt familienlager, located in sector BIIb, s

?

Default Auschwitz-II, Birkenau Barracks returned to site

Recently, this story was covered by members of the world press. The loan period now expired, half of the barrack - originally from the Theresienstadt familienlager, located in sector BIIb, shall now be returned to its original location and the preservation team at Oswiecim will begin the lengthy process of reconstruction and representation. See links below for more details:

Auschwitz-Birkenau - Loaned historical barrack returned to Poland

Auschwitz barracks returns to Poland from the US

U.S. Holocaust museum returns barracks to Auschwitz | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

1) The portion of barrack pictured whilst on loan to the USHMM (United States Holocaust Memorial Museum).

2) A recent image taken during a further study visit to the site - image shows the entrance gates to camp BIIb, the Theresienstadt family camp.

CREDIT - AUSCHWITZ-BIRKENAU MUSEUM and USHMM
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Auschwitz-II, Birkenau Barracks returned to site   Auschwitz-II, Birkenau Barracks returned to site  

Hi Carl , that's very interesting , it wasn't until I read the link that the question I was asking myself ,i.e.: How will this structure react to being returned to the outside environment? Was answered!! It seems that it will be quite a lengthy process ,but one well worth doing as this should be back in it's context! I hope they get the wood to match back together well , it would be a shame if it were to look like two separate buildings thrown together! Thanks for showing it, Leon.

?

Very interesting.

Thanks Carl, as ever very interesting!...

?

Thank you for your comments gents, glad that the thread is of interest.

Yes Leon, that is indeed the issue. Having experienced the site in every season of the calendar, I can honestly say that these materials need to be cared for in a very particular manner - the staff at the museum work constantly to maintain and improve the presentation of the site. Credit to them, they do a fine job.

That is a cold looking gate..your photography has captured it perfectly
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The sense of foreboding is still there...and will never go away

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    The sense of foreboding is still there...and will never go away

Nick
    Indeed it is Nick, very true.

Larry, the gates are similar at each of the individual camps throughout the BII complex. Pictured below are the gates of Compound BIIc - Bauabschnitt IIc, used as a Durchgangslager (transit camp) for mostly Hungarian Jewish women. Also shown are the gates of the "Crematoria Waiting Room", as it was known among prisoners - compound BIIf, the Häftlingskrankenbau (prisoner's infirmary).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Auschwitz-II, Birkenau Barracks returned to site   Auschwitz-II, Birkenau Barracks returned to site