Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency

Article about: The Dachau piece is a fantasy item. KL Dachau scrip had a totally different appearance. Later in the thread, I will show the correct format. The other examples are originals, with the Buchen

How can I spot a fake buchenwald note?

?

Welcome to the forum.

If you post clear images here, I will be able to inform you.

Carl

I haven't had the honor to own one of these yet, but I'm planning to get one in the future. My question is, are there any red flags that can expose a fake note?

Thanks in advance.

?

Study posts 14 through 19, they will highlight what to look for:

Thank you so much!

?

Default Need help with a Standort-Kantine - Buchenwald note

Hi Carl,

In response to your reply to ZeraAmalek, and in light of the information you have provided in this thread regarding forgeries, I would like to get your opinion of the validity of a Standort-Kantine - Buchenwald note that I recently acquired.

In accordance with your advice to him, I am attaching four images. I could not get a good closeup of the background orange image, but perhaps you can enlarge it, if necessary, on your screen. The "three leaf" image points to the "northeast." The top small tear is 2mm into the note and the bottom one is 1mm into the note. There are no holes along the fold line other than those two small tears. I am a banknote collector and I am fairly familiar with the feeling of the printing when moving a thumb over the note while holding it versus the smooth printing of inkjet-printed forgeries. This note has a "rough" feeling, definitely not smooth.

I have read your posts on concentration camp currencies and acquired a fabulous introduction and education, for which I thank you.

This note is the only concentration camp note that I have in my collection of 5200 different world paper currency notes, and, if it is real, I have no idea what catalog could give me a catalog "value." It is not in the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money. If anyone knows, an image or a PDF of the catalog page would be helpful since I do not plan to buy a catalog for just one note. Ebay is unreliable for this information. I do not intend to sell my collection, but a value guide would be helpful.

Your help on this would be appreciated.

Soldi

1. Front

2. Back

3. Serial number height of 4mm

4. No watermark

?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Appears to be a genuine note.

Regarding a valuation, try some of the more recent online auctions with prices realized as the catalogue guides tend to be way off when it comes to camp related currency.

Carl

?

Thank you, Carl. Much appreciated.

?

Thanks Carl for this thread and for the time invested in the study of these pieces.

Here is my very minor contribution. 37 years ago (I was only 10 yrs old ) but totally hooked on everything relating to the TR. I was on a trip with my Church in the Isle of Man when I stumbled upon this note amongst old foreign bank notes in a junk shop. I bought it for next to nothing with my pocket money and have held onto it ever since. It wasn’t until many years later that I discovered what it was and I have never known if it was original or not. Having read this thread, I’m fairly confident that my young eyes didn’t let me down. (I hope i’m right )

Cheers again for your commitment Carl. Threads like this really show the value of the forum.

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration Camp and Ghetto Currency  

?

Hi Andy,

Thanks for sharing this one. These are not so common. What you have is a genuine .50RM issued at the satellite camp Rottleberode. Note the over stamp mark "SS-Ko.Rottleberode" (SS Kommando Rottleberode) the term Kommando was often used within the KZ system to designate an external work detail.

Carl

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast