Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lager Westerbork camp money

Article about: Hi all, Today I received my camp money that I bought recently. There are 4 different types, 10ct, 25ct, 50ct and the 100ct. The 50ct is the rarest and I didn't find one yet for a reasonable

?

Default Lager Westerbork camp money

Hi all,

Today I received my camp money that I bought recently. There are 4 different types, 10ct, 25ct, 50ct and the 100ct. The 50ct is the rarest and I didn't find one yet for a reasonable price. I live very nearby westerbork and therefore I'm very happy with this buy.

Background info for the money :

Westerbork was a camp with some freedom, they had even a few shops, we're it was possible to buy some cosmetics and sometimes even flowers.

Because normal money was not allowed they gave them this camp money. The German we're also afraid the jews won't give them all there money, so they invented this camp money as a return.

The camp money didn't existed that long. They started with it in March 1944 and they stopped it end 1944.

They made it look as normal inside the camp so the jews didn't suspect what was going to happen to them when they leave the camp. Off course the jews heard enough stories to know what was gonna happen.

There are many different versions of this money, with and without watermark and with and without a extra stamp on the bottom (mostly a k with a number behind it)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lager Westerbork camp money   Lager Westerbork camp money  

Lager Westerbork camp money   Lager Westerbork camp money  

Lager Westerbork camp money   Lager Westerbork camp money  

?

Genuine examples, thank you for posting. The Westerbork credit notes also display an interesting and often overlooked detail - the exploitation through forced labour in the industrial area. Look closely and one can see the factory and machinery imagery within the design.

Carl

p.s. good luck finding your 50 Cent denomination to complete the set

?

Yes your right. But the strange thing is, there's no industry nearby. I'm gonna search why they put a gear on it.

?

Despite the lack of any serious economic role being played by Lager Westerbork, alongside the prisoner barracks, workshops were established within the camp. External work details also existed, with agricultural detail and dismantling of downed aircraft among the duties undertaken.

Carl

?

Thanks Carl, that's some good info. I found that the design of the money was done by a "prisoner".

?

Thank you. Prisoners being involved with the design process was also quite common. Other designs, such as the tokens later issued at Theresienstadt and Oranienburg for example, were designed by inmates.

Carl