Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?

Article about: Hey everyone - I recently purchased a 3rd SS tunic from J. James Auctioneers. The pics seemed legitimate, and I trust the site to sell authentic material, but I always want to double and tri

Default 3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?

Hey everyone -

I recently purchased a 3rd SS tunic from J. James Auctioneers. The pics seemed legitimate, and I trust the site to sell authentic material, but I always want to double and triple-check. The price was pretty high but not as high as it probably should have been. Here's the pictures I took this morning. I can always take more if anyone wanted to look at something specific. The sleeve eagle and collar tabs were machine-sewed, and the tank destruction badge was hand-sewn. I'm unsure of the Iron Cross ribbon, but it looks possibly hand-sewn. Love to know your thoughts!

3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?   3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?  

3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?   3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?  

3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?   3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?
    P
    Many

Welcome to the forum!
    You should post some photos of the lining and the rest of the inside.

I don't hold out much hope though, I believe your tank destruction badge, and your totenkopf collar tab are not original.
    Can't speak for the eagle, photos being upside down, but I suspect the same for it.
    You can compare the tab with my original posted here.
    Embroiderd TK Pumpkin Head Tab
    Ralph.

Sorry, the link is to a different style of tab.
    Here is the correct comparable tab.
    Dachau TK Tab
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Sure thing - dunno why some of them were upside down, but I'll post again.

There's so many styles of totenkopf that I wasn't sure which one to base it off of. The stitching looked solid but you never know! If it is indeed a fake I'll be disappointed but not completely heartbroken.

Also, there's a place below the collar on the inside where there used to be what I'm guessing is the manufacture tag. Not sure why it's missing or how the break is so clean.

3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?

Dos
    ?

Quote by LovingTheAlien View Post
    Hey everyone -

I recently purchased a 3rd SS tunic from J. James Auctioneers. The pics seemed legitimate, and I trust the site to sell authentic material, but I always want to double and triple-check. The price was pretty high but not as high as it probably should have been.
    Welcome LovingTheAlien,

You should never trust an auctioneer that he sells only original items. Even the most reputable dealers and auction houses sell fakes due to the lack of knowledge and experience with some of these items.

Interesting tunic, but i fear the same things that Ralph points out...

My Dachau made tab for comparison:

3rd SS Tunic - Authentic or no?

Goodluck,

-Dos

Thanks for the swift replies. I'm guessing in the future anything tan/faded like mine should throw up warning flags? Both of yours look more silver/white.

Dos
    ?

Patina comes in different ways.. even on cloth! Mine was a vet bring back and was placed in a scrap book. It's a bit dirty.

You need to look at the specifics like the materials used and how it is constructed. Also some times things are not correctly placed on a tunic and so you can doubt it's origanality. Doing some research beforehand is a must!

?

Yes, sorry. This is no good. The tank destruction badge misses the fine details of the original piece.