Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Allegemeine SS tunic set-up ....

Article about: Yeah, i talked to him, and told him about how he could be prosecuted for sending me pics to the states, he was really concerned about the law in Germany and all. I told him as long as he doe

Default Re: Allegemeine SS tunic set-up ....

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    This site really does contain enough images of authentic pieces to get some orientation. But the truth is simple: you cannot collect authentic material based on electronic pictures alone. Nor can you often get lucky with this material, in fact, without a huge investment in time which is beyond most of us with real responsibilities in this peculiar century.
    Very true, and very well put, Since I'm a disabled vet, from being injured in Iraq, i have a lot of time on my hands.

My only responsibilities i have right now, are my VA doctor appointments, therapy, rehabilitation, and such.

I'm doing my best to learn about these items, that is why I come to these forums so much, and rely heavily on the experts in here.

Brian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allegemeine SS tunic set-up ....
    P
    Many

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    Very true, and very well put, Since I'm a disabled vet, from being injured in Iraq, i have a lot of time on my hands.

My only responsibilities i have right now, are my VA doctor appointments, therapy, rehabilitation, and such.

I'm doing my best to learn about these items, that is why I come to these forums so much, and rely heavily on the experts in here.

Brian
    Dear Brian, one day, when you are willing and so, I will show you my collection to foster your expertise in this material, as I am sure would do some other collectors here who respect your service and are eager to be of aid to you. My point is more directed to the general tendency here that the electric pictures are the beginning and ending of all knowledge. They are an adjunct to the real thing, but no substitute for handling real material. You know this, of course, and surely looking at images is a beginning. But on these sites the images become the measure of all things, and to this process I do object for many others who apparently do not or cannot make the extra effort. We are happy to share with you, Brian, of course, such goes without saying.

I saw a piece in Europe recently while I was stuck in the ash there that in pictures would look alright, but the tunic itself was not made properly, and one had to feel the thing and sniff it to understand fully what was wrong with it. I do not want to be arch, but it is simply true.

Please do not buy a piece from Germany sight unseen with a hinky story. The best way to get one of these things is from a solid source, which also means that it will be expensive. The foregoing is not an endorsement of dealers, per se, but serves to reinforce the fact that there are precious few reliable sources for this material. I also do not believe that Germany is a very good source for black SS uniforms made prior to May 1945, unless a couple of persons known to us secure them from old collections. But all of this passes through a very narrow number of persons in my limited experience.

?

A succinct reply from F-B, for sure.

There are certainly still hidden treasures out there, and no doubt more than a few in Germany, but I would be wary of sending money to anyone in Europe without an ironclad reputation.

In this day and age of instant communication, why would anyone with legitimate stuff offer it at a big discount on line?

For mainstream items - and I include most German uniforms, badges, caps and daggers - there is a going price for the correct thing. Beware otherwise.

The only real opportunity for a score is privately.

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post

Brian
    Brian....respect mate. I was in Baghdad in 2003............came away with a hole in my thigh, lucky

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5