Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Collar Tabs for Review

Article about: Greetings everyone, I hope that everyone is doing well in your part of the world. I am looking for some thoughts some collar tabs that I have had for a very long time. I received this tab an

Default Collar Tabs for Review

Greetings everyone,

I hope that everyone is doing well in your part of the world.

I am looking for some thoughts some collar tabs that I have had for a very long time. I received this tab and a few other tabs from an advanced collector of tabs who only focused on higher ranks and most of his tabs were tunic removed. I have spent about 6 months researching and looking at other examples on here as well as in Michael Beaver/Mark Bando's Book, John Angolia's Book as well as Andrew Mollo's condensed SS Book series.

I feel comfortable with them and I received these as a set and are what I believe to also be matching pairs of Runes and Rank tabs.

Here is where I am having some challenges but I have also researched and came to these conclusions:

The back of both the Rune as well as the rank tabs have what appear to be the pattern dots to cut along in order to have enough cloth material to fold over the Buckram backing. I have not been able to find another example of these until today when I was looking at some on-line shops and I found a similar type dot pattern on the backside of a rank collar tab. ON the back of the Runes and Rank the buckram appears to be stained

I will post these in separate posts and would appreciate your evaluation/feedback.

The examples of the SS runes that I have found in Beaver's book are on pages 109 (Officer's Type I) and page 110 which also reveals on the SS rune the cardboard stitch pattern under the raised bullion thread. There is also another photo on page 117 which shows an abnormally shaped Rune which appears very similar to the example I have where the runes are close at the top and flare out at the bottom to a slight degree.

I cross referenced the Runes in Angolia's Cloth Insignia of the SS book and on page 282 the top rune as well as the rune on the left also appear similar to my tab.

Lastly I will add that Mollo's condensed book on SS uniforms, equipment and insignia was also very helpful and information in regards to the SS collar tabs (page 218) and the type of materials to be used (bullion aluminum wire thread) page 270 was also most helpful..

I will also attach an image of the tab I found online from a sales site with the similar "dot" pattern on the back of the tab. (This will be the tab with the red background)

I took separate photos of the tabs in natural light, and with a black background as well as a white background (I used my scanner to see if I could get better details)..

NOTE:: All the photos are of the same tab in different settings..

I will post the rank tab next in a separate thread..

Thanks everyone..

Best regards

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Collar Tabs for Review   Collar Tabs for Review  

Collar Tabs for Review   Collar Tabs for Review  

Collar Tabs for Review  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Collar Tabs for Review
    P
    Many

oak leaves are ok the rest not imo .

just need to ask is that white dots on the back of the oak tab

I never have seen a officers tab like that but my first impression is that its good. The bullion work & rune shape looks good but the base material & buckram throws me off. I like the rank tab as well. I'm looking forward to others opinions about that officers tab.

The generals tab is a fake in my estimation. I do not like the embroidery as it does not conform to known originals. Leaves are too pointedf, should have more of a rounded flow to them. Also the white dots on the back of the tab indicates pakistani produced copies.

Greg

Although that dealer on the late Obergruppenfuhrer tab has a bad reputation it does look well but would like to see some better photos.Collar Tabs for Review

- - ------- - -

Although that dealer on the late Obergruppenfuhrer tab has a bad reputation it does look well but would like to see some better photos

The generals tab is a fake in my estimation. I do not like the embroidery as it does not conform to known originals. Leaves are too pointedf, should have more of a rounded flow to them. Also the white dots on the back of the tab indicates pakistani produced copies.

Greg

yep i fell you are right looking at all the white dots ,,