Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Did not expect to see this when I set off this morning!

Article about: While chatting to an elderly gentleman, he told me that his late father had served with the Sherwood Foresters in World War Two. We got into a deep chat and I advised him on ways to research

Default Did not expect to see this when I set off this morning!

While chatting to an elderly gentleman, he told me that his late father had served with the Sherwood Foresters in World War Two. We got into a deep chat and I advised him on ways to research what his father would have been through. He told me that his dad had started collecting insignia towards the end of the war and would I like to see them? They were kept in a 37-pattern pouch and when he opened it I could only see British insignia. But as he tipped them out, tightly packed in underneath were these. There was also a nice embroidered Waffen SS arm eagle, which I asked to buy, but he insisted on giving it to me, which was embarrassing. I told him it was worth a fair bit of money, but he wouldn't take anything.
    I asked him to think about what he wants to do with the rest as there are some nice pieces among them. First time I have seen a Galician arm badge. I am usually dubious about cloth but given the circumstances I am happy that these are good.
    Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Did not expect to see this when I set off this morning!   Did not expect to see this when I set off this morning!  

Did not expect to see this when I set off this morning!   Did not expect to see this when I set off this morning!  

Did not expect to see this when I set off this morning!   Did not expect to see this when I set off this morning!  

Did not expect to see this when I set off this morning!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Did not expect to see this when I set off this morning!
    P
    Many

A nice selection of (mainly) field stripped insignia. I wonder if the gent's father participated in the removal from prisoners?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

What a haul, congratulations! Love the SS patches... Any chance to see photos of the embroidered SS eagle?

A substantially valuable collection, you are a lucky fellow.

CBH
    ?

Great group with some rare pieces, congratulations.

Nice of that man to do this, Steve. Take him out for dinner or something?!
    Stig

?

These kind of occasions happen once in a lifetime. Congrats. Press them nicely between some books or something.
    The Handschar and SS shoulder boards are nice. Honour dictates you need to reimburse the man because he has no idea what he gave away.
    Flowers, chocolate, scotch or a nice case of quality beer.

If i read the op correctly, the man gave him the SS eagle only, not everything .......as yet.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Instant uniformed removed collection. Some very nice pieces here.

Thanks for the comments. I only have the sleeve eagle, image below. I am going to see Jack on Saturday and will show him your comments and also take round my Finnish Waffen-SS volunteer group to explain why I was interested in the eagle. I did tell him that he had some valuable pieces, including the eagle that he was giving me, but refused to take any money. His view was that he didn't pay anything for them in the first place. I will think of something to take with me, maybe a good bottle of whiskey to drink a toast to his dad.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Did not expect to see this when I set off this morning!  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast