Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Estnische Legion SS

Article about: Hello, Please help me determine if this patch is authentic or not. I live in Estonia, and there is a patch of the Estonian SS Legion for sale here. It is a valuable piece for my collection,

Default Estnische Legion SS

Hello,

Please help me determine if this patch is authentic or not.
    I live in Estonia, and there is a patch of the Estonian SS Legion for sale here. It is a valuable piece for my collection, and I would like to acquire it. However, I am not sure if it is original because I do not know how to distinguish authentic SS patches from copies.

If compared to a wartime photograph, the shape and size match.

Estnische Legion SSEstnische Legion SSEstnische Legion SS

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Estnische Legion SS
    P
    Many

?

Looks like a good Dachau hoard piece to me.

Why do you think this is somehow related to Dachau? I've read a bit about the Dachau camp and didn't find any mentions of units from the Estonian SS Legion serving there.

In Dachau, such patches and other military uniforms etc were manufactured by prisoners.
    Such a collection, or hoard , was found after the war and made its way to the militaria collector's market. Parts of this will be in quite good condition.
    Your patch could be part of this find.

Now I understand.
    Thank you very much for the detailed response.

?

Correct. Dachau was a central depot for SS clothing and equipment. Can be manuactured in any number of sub camps and workshops but centrally stored.
    After the war, the US GI´s took massive amounts of these mint pieces back to the states because the USA liberated the camp and it fell in the US occupation zone.
    These style of Waffen SS insignia for foreign volunteers like arm shield, cuff titles and collar tabs were found in the hundreds of thousands. As a starting SS collector, this is a great place to start before you have to start using massive amounts of cash.

Some images of the depot

Estnische Legion SS
    Estnische Legion SS
    Estnische Legion SS