Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Free SS cufftitle with book purchase

Article about: Back in the 1960's, I used to visit a German book store,chmidt Imports, in the German neighborhood in Chicago. They carried a lot of books on the war including a set of volumes on the Waffen

Default Free SS cufftitle with book purchase

Back in the 1960's, I used to visit a German book store,chmidt Imports, in the German neighborhood in Chicago. They carried a lot of books on the war including a set of volumes on the Waffen SS. When first published, these books came with a genuine cuff title from the division to be used as a book mark. By the late 60's, the original stock that the publisher had acquired were gone and they replaced them with reproduction titles. These books were marketed at the veterans of these units and I doubt they ever knew the titles were reproduction. A little known fact I thought the membership would enjoy hearing about.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Free SS cufftitle with book purchase
    P
    Many

?

I was aware of the use of repro cuff titles as bookmarks in these histories, but I never knew the publisher had started out using originals!

Quote by Arran View Post
    I was aware of the use of repro cuff titles as bookmarks in these histories, but I never knew the publisher had started out using originals!
    A wee bit of history I had forgotten about. I thought it would be interest to the student and collector as how these things were valued in the old days.
    BOB

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    A wee bit of history I had forgotten about. I thought it would be interest to the student and collector as how these things were valued in the old days.
    We are always grateful for your perspective, to be sure.

Bob,

Any idea on the total number of original cufftitles that the publisher obtained.... and how they obtained them? Thanks for the story again.

Nick

Quote by nbushyager View Post
    Bob,

Any idea on the total number of original cufftitles that the publisher obtained.... and how they obtained them? Thanks for the story again.

Nick
    I would have no idea what the answer would be to your question.
    BOB

?

With that title, I was hoping on buying a book!!
    I wasn't born till 61'. So Thank you Mr Coleman for sharing what it was like in the collecting world at those times.
    To think a cuff title sold as a book mark is beyond our normal consideration now.

Semper Fi
    Phil

CBH
    ?

Bob were these books large format photo Histories of the divisions, not quite coffee table size but a medium thick German language publication?

I remembers seeing something similar in the 80's I've always hope to see them for sale but have never come across them again.

Even without the cuff titles the were lovely books.

Thanks for sharing memories of the glory days of TR collecting.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    When first published, these books came with a genuine cuff title from the division to be used as a book mark. By the late 60's, the original stock that the publisher had acquired were gone and they replaced them with reproduction titles. These books were marketed at the veterans of these units and I doubt they ever knew the titles were reproduction.
    By now these titles will be classified as originals, don't you think Bob?

Book marks are occasionally a gift for my best friends when a new book is being published by me.
    Just a small number of them, to make the book something special. An "extra" as a sign of appreciation!!

for the aiguillette-book various forms were manufactured in golden or silver embroidery, reflecting the grade of assistance.
    Personally I have the highest grade with wider braid and leaves. Others do not have this, but have golden or silver pipings
    and text.
    The number of them, I cannot remember, but no more then 25. Most of them had a brown-shirt color backing and were
    signed.

for the HJ-Handbook, machine-embroidered
    I thought 15 of them were made.

the special version for the railroad eagle-book, machine-embroidered.
    Only 10 were made (the manufacturing of this one and the others above
    were taken care for by German concerns, who also produce for shooting associations).

the common version, on photo-paper. About 25 were made.
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 06-16-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Quote by CBH View Post
    Bob were these books large format photo Histories of the divisions, not quite coffee table size but a medium thick German language publication?

I remembers seeing something similar in the 80's I've always hope to see them for sale but have never come across them again.

Even without the cuff titles the were lovely books.

Thanks for sharing memories of the glory days of TR collecting.
    Hi Chris-
    These were not large format books. They were approximately the size of the Roger Bender books. This is going back to the early 60's. There were a lot of ex German soldiers living in the neighborhood. I understand later in the night at the neighborhood bars, it was common to hear the patrons singing some of their old marching songs.
    BOB