Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hoping to get help savng a newbie from an expensive mistake!

Article about: Hi, I just recently joined your forum as want to start collecting genuine WW2 items to pass onto my young fella someday. I've read the warnings on here about avoiding auctions and buying fro

The Beaver/Bando book is definitely worth obtaining
    Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hoping to get help savng a newbie from an expensive mistake!
    P
    Many

Thanks Paul. Think I have fair bit of reading ahead. Interesting stuff though.
    Have you ever had any dealings with a dealer called Regimentals Limited in Hertfordshire?

Might stick their details in the forum section for dealers and see of anyone on here has used them before. Cheers, Dave.

Hold tight Dave......do some research on Regimentals first, here & on WAF......for your own sake
    Paul

ah ok. will do. cheers

Dave,

It is not expected that all SS armbands will have the RZM tags. There will be many that through various reasons will have tags removed, worn, torn, a whole myriad of reasons. One of the many reasons why more scrutiny of each armband is needed, especially examples that do in fact have the tags affixed. Fakers and copiers have gotten very good with their crafts over the years so usually research and study will be a big contributing factor in determining real vs fake.

Originals are still out there and they are intact with RZM tags but as mentioned caution must be used as the SS items are some of the more notoriously faked TR items.

Bando's SS book as well as SS Cloth Insignia by Jack Angolia are good books to have on your bookshelf. I will tell you that both the Bando and Angolia books are out there but they are very expensive, some more expensive than the Armbands your pursue, so even when buying reference books on the Third Reich you are going to be spending some cash, but these books will only increase in value as they get harder and harder to find and they will be sought after for years to come, another noteworthy investment.

Another set of very good books on the History of the SS were written by a member here: Robin Lumsden. He has three particular books on the SS: The Waffen SS, The Allgemeine SS and The Black Corps. He has also written the book: SS Regalia and some great books on Detecting Fake Third Reich Regalia. In my humble opinion Robin's Books are also great additions to anyone's bookshelf.

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

The subject 2nd brassard seen in the left image, stitching of the outer black tress is questionable. Also the quality of the tress itself sure looks waffled, or the weave that runs horizontally from bottom to the top is certainly not a straight laying weave.

I've posted your example on the left and a known original example on the right.

Both represent the early deluxe SS wool brassard.

Notice the stitching of the brassards outer black tress on the left of a single line where the brassard that's a known original stitching looks to be a double run, one on top of the other of the brassards tress. Or it's a method of stitching that todays or post war sewing machines are unable to replicate.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hoping to get help savng a newbie from an expensive mistake!   Hoping to get help savng a newbie from an expensive mistake!  

More images of the known original brassard to compare to. Note how the Harkenkreuz is laid over and stitched, there is no irregular endings at or just before the corners as seen on the questionable brassard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hoping to get help savng a newbie from an expensive mistake!   Hoping to get help savng a newbie from an expensive mistake!  

Hoping to get help savng a newbie from an expensive mistake!  

I really appreciate your replies and advice.

The books I’ve tracked down so far are certainly expensive but will be worth it if help me avoid ending up with a load of rubbish.

Regarding the armband it’s great learning for me to see the real item up against the one I was looking at, thanks for doing that. Wow when the differences are down to stitching though.....

I guess what has surprised me the most since recently starting this journey are dealers selling on what forum members on here have pointed out very quickly as obviously not authentic items. If they were dirt cheap I could understand but these are going for top money. Human nature I guess when it comes to easy money.

Anyhow I’m really looking forward to my first couple of forum approved small items arriving and I’m going to stick to the main dealers mentioned in member posts moving forward. Less chance of being stung. Cheers, Dave.

Dave, the example was sold by the Gettysburg Museum. They have an online store and as well have become a depository of some unique items. They do a You Tube historical show as well that are quite interesting and very factual.

When you see an original item thats been sold by such entities and know they are a trusted source of imagery, screen shot the item.

Once I do that, I crop the image. Then I make the image lager using the zoom feature on my photo management system and again screen shoot it. Of course, don't go beyond distortion where the image becomes blurry. Once you have the image captured do the same with the item your considering.

if the images you have to work with from the dealer are poor, request better images so the details can stand up to the zoom feature.

Once images are laid side by side on your screen you can do a better job at studying original vs questionable.

The last point to consider is, if you have questions about an item after careful study, once bought and then sold at a later date a seller will have the same questions making it a tough sell scenario.

The final question then to ask is do I want to deal with the what if at that time?

Addendum, to the brassard: some may say the questionable brassard was a later produced brassard. The fact is the deluxe wool armbands were early made products through to about 39 or 40 at the very latest, I could be wrong on the late date but they were 30's produced brassards. When the Allgemeine SS troops were moved to the Waffen SS and then when the war was in full swing materials became scarce, including uniform items. So much so the the black uniforms were turned in to become other uniform types as they were a much needed resource.

Thanks Rich, great advice. I did look at the items in the museum when first started thinking about collecting as they have some really interesting pieces but unfortunately do not ship international. Pity because I was also thinking coming from them fakery chance should be low.

I have indeed started screen shots of pieces I like then use Paint on the laptop to compare with known good images from this site. I have been able to discount obvious fakes doing this but when it comes to different thread patterns, wow.

I am about to start a new thread on couple of items i'm looking at. A arm eagle that looks good to me and doesn't have the mistakes pointed out on the posts in the forum but best to be sure.

Ive also just ordered some of the books this morning that forum members suggested. The pages must be made of gold given the prices! Really enjoying this pastime even with the potential expensive mistakes. Hopefully as better educate myself and with some help from the forum the chances should lesson. Cheers, Dave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2