MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

I Found the Holy Grail ..................

Article about: ................... see post # 74. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/colle...8/#post2205444

?

Because they are not tagged, how do you know the quality tapered off? Perhaps the better-embroidered examples were the last ones made, and they got better with experience!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I Found the Holy Grail ..................
    P
    Many

Quote by Arran View Post
    Perhaps the better-embroidered examples were the last ones made, and they got better with experience!
    Could be !!

Probably just different hand-embroiderers with slightly different standards of expertise, however.

I don't think Eicke & Co. would specify exactly how many threads there should be to the square millimetre.

Quote by Robin Lumsden View Post
    Could be !!

Probably just different hand-embroiderers with slightly different standards of expertise, however.

I don't think Eicke & Co. would specify exactly how many threads there should be to the square millimetre.
    They stood at the water cooler and argued over it....whoops, thats todays scenario....LOL

Here's an odd one.

Seems to have had the Hundertschaft number '26' unpicked for upgrading to officer level.

Didn't the M35 'full face' TK numbers only go up to '25' ??

I thought '26' etc. were introduced later ............... and used only with the M36 TK tabs. ??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I Found the Holy Grail ..................  

Here's an unpicked '23' officer upgrade for comparison ...............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I Found the Holy Grail ..................  

Yes Robin, all the documents I have indicate that the 26th Hundertschaft wasn't established until July, 1937 as an element of Thueringen.
    However, if the patch is genuine and it is indeed a 26 then a possible explanation is that old patches were refurbished due to the growth of the units and the resulting insignia shortfall. Indeed, there are numerous mentions in period daily orders requiring patches to be taken off grey uniforms and transferred to black dress ones due to supply shortages.
    Also men transferred from one Hundertschaft to another had to return their numbered patch to the original company.
    I do have photos of that early skull being worn as late as 1939 but always with one of the lower numbers as the wearer retains an old collar patch.

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Yes Robin, all the documents I have indicate that the 26th Hundertschaft wasn't established until July, 1937 as an element of Thueringen. I do have photos of that early skull being worn as late as 1939 but always with one of the lower numbers as the wearer retains an old collar patch.
    Many thanks, Derek.

Great information.

That patch is certainly an oddity ..................

?

HH has one on their next auction, original or not that's the question ......

Quote by Putzi View Post
    HH has one on their next auction, original or not that's the question ......
    It's a rare original.

A '20', from another KL Dachau unit, so 'almost' a second Holy Grail !

It was formerly owned by the late Michael Butler, around 20 years ago.

God only knows what it will sell for.

I can hazard a guess, but I won't.

Please let us know what the final hammer price is !
    Last edited by Robin Lumsden; 10-09-2022 at 11:35 PM.

It was shown earlier in Post #91.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast