Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'

Article about: OK. Here's a REAL tester. What do you think of this arm shield ?? (The YouTube link below is for the benefit of the uninitiated). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvMkc4K5JTw

Default Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'

OK.

Here's a REAL tester.

What do you think of this arm shield ??

(The YouTube link below is for the benefit of the uninitiated).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvMkc4K5JTw
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'   Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'
    P
    Many

Hi Robin, the trouble is with these is the few originals were all pretty badly hand made to start with.

I would not buy one without rock solid provenace.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks, Ade ............... for putting your head above the parapet !!

There have been 33 readers of this thread, and you're the first to comment.

Anyway, this crude little badge has now filled a gap in my SS collection.

It's the first one I've seen for sale that I'd personally he happy with.

It came from a very good source, at a very good price (about the going rate for an EK2), although it has no 'rock-solid provenance'.

It's always a matter of faith with these things.

According to the definitive history of this unit, all the original shields were made my local tailors in Lokot, so no two are the same.

This photo shows a selection of others for comparison, with comments where applicable.

How many of these are pre-1945 ??

The honest answer is ............ no-one knows for sure.

We can only judge by considering, among other things, the manufacturing materials used.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'  

Some relevant RONA pix.

The final photo shows Kaminski as an SS-Brigadefuehrer during the Warsaw Uprising ....... a couple of weeks before Himmler had him 'disposed of' (via von dem Bach) for failing to control his men !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'   Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'  

Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'   Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'  

Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'   Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'  

Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'  

Sometimes a leap of faith is needed. It is not like looking for a die flaw on badge. All you can do is satisfy yourself having weighed up the odds.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Sometimes a leap of faith is needed. It is not like looking for a die flaw on badge. All you can do is satisfy yourself having weighed up the odds.
    Ade.

Korrekt !

In theory, none of these should have made it to the 'west' as this pseudo-SS unit spent all of its time in the east, unlike the Russians of the Wehrmacht's Vlasov Army, which spent some time in Normandy.

However, the thing arrived in the post today and ....... let's just say ....... I'm VERY happy with it.

I feel a bit like this guy ....... remember ? ....... the one who took the 'Leap of Faith' in 'Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade'.
    Attached Images Attached Images Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS' 

Just as an aside, this is the only photograph known showing the 'POHA' badge being worn on SS uniform, during the short period (June-October, 1944) that the Kaminski Brigade was officially a part of the SS, as Waffen-Sturmbrigade der SS 'RONA', before being disbanded prematurely. Earlier plans for the brigade to be expanded into a full Russian SS division came to nothing.

The individual wearing it here (with the saddle-shaped cap) is believed to be Kaminski's ADC.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kaminski Brigade - 'The Russian SS'  

Same shield - but different prices !! Another leap of faith required.