Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not something u see every day - Schalburg jacket, Denmark

Article about: Please move this post if not placed right, thanks. This is not something one sees every day. A uniform jacket for a member of the Schalburg Corps of Denmark. Breast pocket Inside pocket Jack

?

Default Not something u see every day - Schalburg jacket, Denmark

Please move this post if not placed right, thanks.

This is not something one sees every day. A uniform jacket for a member of the Schalburg Corps of Denmark.

Breast pocket

Inside pocket

Jacket slit

Close-up of same

Jacket slit as viewed from the outside of jacket.

Inside of jacket at waist height. Wonder what the strap is for. As no slit in pocket, I can not imagine it is for a hanger. Anybody know?

Manufacturers name on pocket: Paul Werner K.G. Hamburg

Residual "tab" on pocket. Owners name?

Point where cuffband is stitched together

If anybody has an idea what the strap on the inside of the jacket at waist height is for, please let me know.

Thanks for looking.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Not something u see every day - Schalburg jacket, Denmark
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Not something u see every day - Schalburg jacket, Denmark

Lol, over 100 hits and no comment. I guess this too rare for anybody to know anything about ;-)

I have seen numerous insignia of the Schalburg unit, but the collar tabs, cuff title, and armshield are different from any I have examined.

The tunic also appears to have been dyed black from another color.

Bob Hritz

?

Bob, that sonds strange - please elaborate.

Did you see different insignia or do you mean that you saw the same insignia but made in a different way?

I am not in any way disputing you post - just interested.

From whtat I can understand from sources in Denmark, the insignia is pretty much standard for the Schalburg uniforms.

I also found sources in english - like for example this one:

Quote:
    Collar patches – The left-hand collar patch bore the usual SS rank badges. The right-hand collar patch displayed a large sunwheel swastika. (Members of the Efterretningstjenesten (E.T.), the Korps’ intelligence service, possibly wore the letters “ET”, written in a “runic” style, on that patch, but this is unconfirmed.) Officers with the rank of Oberst and above certainly wore their rank insignia on both collar patches, if there were any officers with such high rank at all.

(sunwheel swastika like in my pics - S)

Armshield – A Danish heraldic shield with three blue lions and nine red hearts on a yellow field was worn on the left upper arm.

(Like in my pics - S)

Cuff title – A cuff title with the inscription “Schalburg” was worn by the staff, NCO school, Guard Company and Landstormen of the Schalburg-Korps. Furthermore there were the following company cuff titles: “Skjalm Hvide”, “Absalon”, “Herluf Trolle”, “Olaf Rye” and “Læssøe”

(Cuff band like in my pics - S)

Shoulder boards – Shoulder boards were of the same pattern as those worn on the black German SS uniform.

Axis History Forum • View topic - Schalburg Korps insignia

Quote by Bob Hritz View Post
    I have seen numerous insignia of the Schalburg unit, but the collar tabs, cuff title, and armshield are different from any I have examined.

The tunic also appears to have been dyed black from another color.

Bob Hritz

I also think this is a redyed tunic, possibly from the Bundesgrenzschutz or Bundeswehr or police force. The Hamburg maker label in black is more than irregular. And, this piece is not of the proper cut for a black SS uniform, even that of the Germanische SS, i.e. the Allgemeine SS in the Nordic Axis allies et cetera.

Also needed is a closer examination of the collar Paspel and that of the Kragenspiegel.

But the most significant warning sign with this piece is the odd black label with the Hamburg Fa.

Sorry to cast doubt, but real black SS uniforms are well known to colleague Hritz.

Colleague Hritz knows his SS insignia, too, surely.

Further, the cuffs of this tunic above do not correspond to a black SS uniform in use in the Altreich.

See attached as orientation.

As a rule, too, the black tunic has belt hook of a particular kind that differ from the cloth belt hooks on said piece, typical of the Feldbluse of the Wehrmacht & Waffen SS, as well as the Bundesgrenschutz....

All this notwithstanding, I have seen nearly no authentic Germanische SS regalia, save a peaked cap, which is, in fact, of German origin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Not something u see every day - Schalburg jacket, Denmark   Not something u see every day - Schalburg jacket, Denmark  

Said cap : a modified 08/15 black SS cap of late ish make.

The cap is a Wille (Hannover) cap ca. 1939 or 1940, as one would expect in this case.

I did not actually examine this cap, but the images are fluent, if not persuasive.

I leave to others the secrets and riddles of said regalia.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Not something u see every day - Schalburg jacket, Denmark  

?

FB, that is a magnificent cap !

Quote by Aldo View Post
    FB, that is a magnificent cap !
    This cap here is not my property, but I illustrate it to suggest that some evidence at hand suggests that, as Mollo writes or Hugh Page Taylor writes, the Germanische SS was equipped with German made uniforms and such.

This cap image did I receive from a source in Denmark, and it seems to make sense to me, somehow. But I can claim no authority in this material beyond the level of a novice.

I do know black SS uniforms of the German variety, and the piece posted here at the head of things is off the mark.

The mass dye-ing of uniforms into black was well underway in the mid 1960s, when I staggered along, but the products were not as refined as this piece, which is likely of later make, I would suppose.

These images are all a fun house hall of mirrors somehow.

Here is the cap badge . I leave it to you to determine its authenticity, and, above all, whether this cap had said badge affixed in the years 1940 or 1941, i.e. when Germanische SS units were raised in Denmark.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Not something u see every day - Schalburg jacket, Denmark  

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I also think this is a redyed tunic, possibly from the Bundesgrenzschutz or Bundeswehr or police force. The Hamburg maker label in black is more than irregular. And, this piece is not of the proper cut for a black SS uniform, even that of the Germanische SS, i.e. the Allgemeine SS in the Nordic Axis allies et cetera.

Also needed is a closer examination of the collar Paspel and that of the Kragenspiegel.

But the most significant warning sign with this piece is the odd black label with the Hamburg Fa.

Sorry to cast doubt, but real black SS uniforms are well known to colleague Hritz.
    Friedrich-Berthold, I certainly value any input from you and Bob and do not take offense at any of your posts not do I think that you "cast doubt". Quite the opposite; I bow to your accumulated and superior knowledge. I am just thankful that I can tap into the pool of knowledge on this forum and see some fantastic items that us lesser mortals can not hope to ever own.

I am quite aware that Bob has forgotten more about authenticating SS uniforms than I will most likely ever know.

I was just not sure exactly what Bob meant and thus would like him to elaborate.

About the jacket: The jacket is not mine and it is outside my scope of interest, as I do not want to use the funds for a (genuine) Schalburg jacket. I just wanted to get the opinion of those in the know and could not in the least be offended by the different posts in this thread. I just find it great to be informed about the different aspects of the item.

I agree about the label, though the implications of it being black had escaped me until you guys pointed it out.

Although the Schalburg Corps were at some point equipped with Allgemeine SS uniforms, they at a later point also wore other uniforms - even danish army uniforms.

Here some pics of Schalburg items from a danish site. Notice how the corps at some point were equipped with danish army uniforms. Text on the site is of course in danish, none the less you might enjoy some of the pics, if you decide to vist the site.

K.B. Martinsen - top figure in the Free Corps and co-founder of the Schalburg Corps. A figure that cast a long shadow during the war and after. He was executed for treason after the war. The danish government made a hasty retro-active law that reintroduced the death penalty in order to be able to execute Martinsen and almost 50 others. Some were true bad apples, but some that were "guilty" of serving on the Eastern Front also died in the frenzy.

Danish army uniform with Schalburg insignia.

The uniform in Schalburg use. Lost of danish army "Schiffchen" with a single Einheitsfeldmütze thrown in for good measure.

The text is the danish translation of "Meine Ehre Heisst Treue" / "Troskab Min Ære"

Thanks for the input so far.

Mfg
    Jesper

The pics are from this site.
    Landsforræderkorpsene

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast