Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original SS tabs???

Article about: Hello just got this yesterday and I’m posting them to double check If this is original. My grandfather has the book cloth insignia of the ss and let me barrow it before I made this purchas

The amount of fake SS stuff out there is astounding and is one of the reasons why I do not collect it (at least right now). With my lack of knowledge on the subject combined with how high the prices are, it's a recipe for disaster.

Quote by John4022 View Post
    Thomas Wittmann is not the go to reference when it comes to collecting cloth insignia. As for his example I dont like it either.
    Hey John, this is new to me as I thought everything on Wittmann's site was genuine but I've never heard outside sources judge his stuff. What is his reputation like? Thanks, I'm a new collector too!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original SS tabs???
    P
    Many

Wittmann knows a lot about German daggers but besides that, his knowledge is rather limited. He is a dagger-guy primarily.

-Joel

I normally don't follow or engage in topics regarding dealers reputation since it can be a sore subject for some people, but I'll bite with this one. I think his inventory is overpriced even if the item is indeed genuine. For example, his very common tropical SS sleeve eagles rival the price of a standard white SS sleeve eagle. Theres definitely better outlets out there for SS cloth..... SS Cloth Insignia , https://virtualgrenadier.com/salelist.php?cid=15 , Hannahs Reich | Shop

I also want to say that don't avoid collecting SS cloth just because your scared of buying a reproduction. You are apart of a great collecting community that is always here to help. Have that item you're interested in reviewed here before buying. Also, being young is not an excuse to avoid collecting. I started collecting SS when I was 16 and I cant recall being burned once.

-John

I can lol, I would just like to thank you guys for your help and if you guys have any genuine items for sale or know of a website please let me know thanks.

Cam13,

First, Welcome to the forum.. You will find many knowledgeable folks here who will give you sound advice. Unfortunately the Third Reich arena of collecting is full of fake and reproduction insignia that started the day after WW2 ended. But with that said there is plenty of authentic pre-May 1945 items out there to be had.. including SS items. It takes many years of studying and handling these items to better understand what reproductions look and feel like. The reference book you borrowed from your grandfather is one of many that all have good information in them BUT it is not the only reference out there and even those books have errors and reproductions in them, (Mark Bando's book is one of the more reliable books admittedly)

Do not get discouraged and throw in the towel yet. If you are really interested in collecting Third Reich items, start with something small and inexpensive such as Tinnies and May Day Badges... These are inexpensive and are in a great abundance. Some of the more common tinnies can be had for as little as $8-10 each. As you start to get your hands on authentic memorabilia and you are able to study and research the items you will gain more instinct and knowledge which will help guide you.

I remember when I first started collecting TR almost 50 years ago.. No computers and the only reference books had black and white pictures and some of them only had pictures of the fronts of the badges and insignia.. We have advanced with computer technology which has been a great asset to have, but on the other hand it has also hindered the collectors because now the folks making reproduction's know what to look for in high resolution photos and details...

Reference books are a good starting point but also asking lots of questions prior to purchasing will save you money for that car you want..

We all have had good days and bad days when collecting Third Reich items.. Nothing tugs at your more than being told something you have is fake.. It happens to all of us, and many of us here have been collecting for many years. I have been burned a few times and it hurts but I learn from those lessons and pass forward what I have learned so others won't make the same mistakes..

Prior to any future purchases, feel free to take good clear pictures of the the fronts and backs of items for us to evaluate and give the thumbs up or down on for you prior to spending hard earned cash...

John4022 and the others who have commented are very knowledgeable in this particular field and I rely on their opinions and information.

Dealers that you can trust are listed at the bottom of the Forums main page, go to their websites and compare items and prices, you will also want to engage other collectors and get their thoughts on who is a reputable dealer, and most important which dealers will offer a money back guarantee with their items..no questions asked...

I will close with this.. You are among some of the very best and most knowledgeable members here. We are a family and I am honored to be amongst the men and women here who willingly share expertise and explanation that comes with years of study and yes getting burned with some fakes now and again is part of collecting, it happens in Third Reich, US and just about any other collecting field you can think of.. Don't give up, Hang Tough...

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

?

I agree.

Thanks I really am interested and this is the first real burn I’ve experienced. I won’t throw in the towel I promise. It wasn’t a terrible burn it just could have been a lot worse. I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond to me it means the world to me. All the other items I have are authentic like my EK2 with ribbon, HJ aurich buckle, a few m40 stalhelms, an m1 helmet, German and US canteen, type99 arisaka with a little bit of the mum left, and what I think is one of my coolest items 15 rounds of 8mm Mauser 1938 dated German ammo in the original box with label. I could post some pictures of my collection if you guys would like to look. So as I said this is the first time I’ve got burnt and it’s because I went out of my comfort zone and into SS and I should’ve know better and got more/barrowed more books before the purchase. And I thank you guys for the help I really and truly do appreciate it, I promise I won’t throw in the towel and make sure this hobby lives on to another generation.

bill shea will see you right , and has one of the best layway planes . and you will pay something off with out worrying at night .if its real . look in to a ss armband or eagle . been 15 geezzz years to go so you will not miss out on any thing ,mite be all dirt cheap time you hit 20

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2