Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SD NCOs Tunic - Thoughts?

Article about: Hello gents, I'm debating between a few tunics at the moment to be the centerpiece of my collection. They're pretty pricey and the accompanying stuff I need to build a uniform set (trousers,

?

could it be a different jobber / manufacturer, who made them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SD NCOs Tunic - Thoughts?
    P
    Many

?

Even the way it has been sewn on is identical! It may be the dealer's source who is the faker, not necessarily the dealer himself. There were thicker and thinner versions of this raute, but I think the balance of evidence goes against this one...

?

I've put the two diamonds side-by-side for comparison (the greatcoat raute is on the left, the NCO tunic raute on the right)

There appear to be some differences with length, but both do appear to have the same stitching and letter thickness

SD NCOs Tunic - Thoughts? SD NCOs Tunic - Thoughts?

The diamonds also look similar to this previous raute posted by a forum member:

But on the other hand, most SD raute I'm seeing is of the thinner letter-type like these two below:

SD NCOs Tunic - Thoughts? SD NCOs Tunic - Thoughts?

Might be a different manufacturer or different year that causes these variations. I'm going to hold on purchasing to study the SD diamond a bit more - never knew that such a small piece of cloth could have so many variations!

?

Yes, the top three are probably examples of the same fake. The thread should be very fine and silky in texture. The example on the lower right appears to be a hand embroidered one? I don't really care for it, either. The example you show lower left is just right...

?

Quote by Arran View Post
    Yes, the top three are probably examples of the same fake. The thread should be very fine and silky in texture. The example on the lower right appears to be a hand embroidered one? I don't really care for it, either. The example you show lower left is just right...
    Lower right is for a SD tunic from Hannah's Reich (was about to make a thread for it) and is listed as hand-applied - not sure if it's hand embroidered, I'll ask.

?

Quote by Arran View Post
    Went digging online and reading through books trying to learn more about the 'hand-embroidered' SD diamond. I had a really uncanny feeling of deja vu about it, and I think I now know why - here's some EM SD patches being sold on Epic Militaria

And here's the SD uniform in question being sold through a highly reputable dealer.

Stitching, shape, and material all seem to be a very close match. I also haven't seen that type of diamond on any period photos of SD men (although I did see plenty wearing diamonds with fat letters similar to the original raute in this thread).

I'm still looking through info and reading to learn more about the original raute posted, but this shows you can't be too careful when collecting SS!

Wouldn't be the first time Kelly has hocked fake SS items.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2