Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SD sleeve diamond - OK or not?

Article about: Hello gentlemen. Would you be so kind and give your opinions on this SD sleeve diamond. I've done some research and compared it to others published on this forum and on the reference gallery

this one is from robin lumsden . fatter all so
    Attached Images Attached Images SD sleeve diamond - OK or not?  SD sleeve diamond - OK or not? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SD sleeve diamond - OK or not?
    P
    Many

Gwar, your question is rhetorical, I would never have
    expressed my opinion when i was not 1000% sure.

?

Quote by johanis1860 View Post
    Gwar, your question is rhetorical, I would never have
    expressed my opinion when i was not 1000% sure.
    You seemed pretty sure according to this post.. I do not wish this to drag out and become one of 'Those' threads.. Take care, G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD sleeve diamond - OK or not?  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Well, I guess the world of collecting gets more and more complicated (and interesting!) the more you learn...

The SD-sleeve diamond that started this thread was from The collectors guild (germanmilitaria) and to me it looks spot on like one of the examples of SD-sleeve diamonds from the reference-gallerie of Germandaggers.com. Could the SD-sleeve diamond displayed on Germandaggers also be a fake..? Or could there be variations of thickness in the lettering, depending on the makers?

I very much appreciate all the opinions here, this is quite interesting

?

every diamond in this thread is real.Robins gave me pause but its good as well

?

Its an old thread, but since Nick woke it up I will share my thoughts about it.
    First, I want to make clear that everything I write in the following are my thoughts about this topic in general, and NOT about the authencity of the specific examples posted here.

There are many fakers in ww2-era militaria, and most of them are total idiots and create ridiculous fakes. Unfortunately, there are good fakers, and also some professionals.
    The truth is, that some fakers could recreate anything. An by "anything", I mean literally anything.
    You want your jacket to be UV negative? You got it.
    You want your helmet paint to have the exact same chemical formula as the original? No problem.
    You want your cloth insignia to have a very specific weave patter that was only used specifically for that type? Say no more.
    You want your medal to be manufactured with the exact same technologies and smilar tools as the original? Here you go.

Fakers (by that I mean some fakers, not all of them) could recreate any item in a quality that could deceive even experts, when they are visually examining it (e.g. looking at pictures on a forum, or even personally). That is a fact. The only thing stopping fakers from doing so is very simple: money. They need to make a profit. If they spend more money (including labor hours of course) on creating a deceiving fake than the price of an original, then whats the point of it? This may be good news when you are looking for a 50 eur relic condition helmet shell. But is bad news when we are talking about a piece of black cloth with some embroidery on it (by that I dont intend to degrade the collectors value of these items, they are super cool), in the price range of hundreds at least. No special materials, simple geometric shapes, very few specific details that could distinguish fakes from originals. For these items, it could be financially reasonable to create some ultimate quality fakes, that are so similary to the original that its simply impossible to see the difference for the human eye, even for experts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2