Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

SS 4 year service medal on Gunbroker

Article about: This one is currently up on Gunbroker and it ends tonight. Its being listed by a reputable seller, and from all the comparisons I've been able to make, it looks good to me. But, as with any

Default SS 4 year service medal on Gunbroker

This one is currently up on Gunbroker and it ends tonight. Its being listed by a reputable seller, and from all the comparisons I've been able to make, it looks good to me. But, as with any SS item I try and purchase, I 'd like to get some second opinions before I go for it. Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Todd

SS 4 year service medal on GunbrokerSS 4 year service medal on GunbrokerSS 4 year service medal on GunbrokerSS 4 year service medal on GunbrokerSS 4 year service medal on GunbrokerSS 4 year service medal on Gunbroker

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS 4 year service medal on Gunbroker
    P
    Many

Looks OK to me as far as detail and the stippling goes. The excess material around the suspension ring is a little odd but may be just a manufacturing flaw. The condition appears very similar to my Petz & Lorenz example.

SS 4 year service medal on Gunbroker SS 4 year service medal on Gunbroker

Looks fine.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks gents, I lost it though. Somebody with deeper pockets just wanted it more.

Never mind, plenty more where that came from.

that's a shame.

I was at a show over the weekend and saw an extremely poor replica of one of these pieces being sold as an original. It was such a bad casting that the acorns looked like berries, or little blobs. The level of detail was terrible... I hope you find another authentic piece to add to your collection! This is an item that I'd love to have, too.

If it's any consolation, I didn't like the suspension loop's appearance and would have passed on it myself...the ridge on it looked much too high and sharp-at least to my eyes,anyway.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The suspension loop on these type II 4 year medals can be found with a slight 'step' to the outer edge of the ring that is variable depending on the amount of hand finishing sometimes. This wouldn't concern me unnecessarily, especially when everything else adds up. Here's a similar one that shows the same 'step' but to a slightly lesser degree. Of course, if other red flags are obvious then that's a different matter......

Regards, Ned.

SS 4 year service medal on Gunbroker
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Cheers!