Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS clothing stolen in museums in the Netherlands

Article about: I don't know if there is a specific thread about theft of militaria. If so please direct me in the right way. Nevertheless, I would like to share this here. From the NOS local Dutch news: &q

hvm
    ?

Default SS clothing stolen in museums in the Netherlands

I don't know if there is a specific thread about theft of militaria. If so please direct me in the right way. Nevertheless, I would like to share this here.

From the NOS local Dutch news:

"Two burglaries in Dutch war museums in less than two months, and thieves who in both cases make off with German militaria. For other war museums, it is reason enough to tighten up security considerably. The question is who is behind the thefts. And what do they want with the Nazi and Wehrmacht items?

In any case, it is clear to director Erik van den Dungen of the war museum in Overloon that this is not a loner. He knows what the Eyewitness Museum in Beek looked like after the burglary. "It was chaos", he tells NOS Radio 1 Journaal. "Doors were forced with brute force and many cars were used so there were a lot of burglars involved. It was a big robbery."

Also from the museum in Ossendrecht many heavy objects that a single perpetrator could hardly have taken with him quickly disappeared, such as fifteen mannequins with German uniforms. Den Dungen suspects that both burglaries are the work of the same group. "Unless there's another gang inspired by the first break-in."

Broken glass in the museum in Beek

One of the museums has asked art detective Arthur Brand to investigate the thefts. Brand has not yet had time to really delve into the case, but he also suspects that an international gang is behind it. He points to a burglary in Belgium three years ago. Items worth 1.5 million euros were taken from the personal collection of an employee of a war museum in La Gleize.

The objects that have now been stolen in the Netherlands are worth at least as much, says Den Dungen. "For example, there are two Fallschirmjäger rifles, which alone have an insured value of half a million." That does not mean that the perpetrators also get it on the black market. "Potential buyers know that the items have been stolen, so they will pay a lot less. Because the chances are slim that they will easily find another buyer."

Trade under the radar
    The perpetrators probably won't want the stolen weapons and uniforms at home - what to do with fifteen mannequins? - but really intend to sell them. Garments belonging to German soldiers are often offered on auction sites.

It's not that easy with weapons. According to Den Dungen, they are numbered. "If they are offered anywhere, it is clear that those firearms come from the theft. Other things such as uniforms, the trade is a bit livelier, so you can also offer them a bit more easily on Ebay or Marktplaats."

According to Brand, it is certain that the perpetrators know the sales market. "That trade is often under the radar. The perpetrators know exactly what they want. And why would you do this two or three times if you don't have a market?" He does not think there is a single principal behind it. "He would take a lot of risk by ordering a group to do this over and over again. I rather think it is guys who know what it's worth. Possibly an Eastern European gang."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS clothing stolen in museums in the Netherlands
    P
    Many

Already two threads on this issue.
    Eyewitness museum
    Netherlands Museum Theft
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

hvm
    ?

Sorry. Please close this one

?

The price of German Militaria in particular FSJ and SS drives these crimes as the thieves know they can make plenty of money on the Black market of collecting . Without being slanderous to anyone looking at East European gangs will not be far away from the target , Romanians have been " looting " the big European Militaria Fairs for quite a few years , Ciney for example , pickpocketing because they know people carry large amounts of cash and breaking into the dealers vans etc .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings