Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Collar Tab & Sleeve Eagle Patch Lot - Real Or Fake?

Article about: These items come from a recently acquired collection that included a variety of authentic and reproduction pieces. As always, I approach all SS pieces cautiously and with reasonable doubt. I

Al - Thank you for weighing in on this lot, the Tropical Eagle was the only piece I really thought to be genuine. I did have hope for the EM Tab as Hick's is identical, for what that is worth. In hand, it was very close to the size, weight and construction of a genuine Dachau Totenkopf Tab I own (minus a few modest details that appeared to be manufacturer related). The lack of glow under UV light also appeared positive....but sometimes even that method can be foiled!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Collar Tab & Sleeve Eagle Patch Lot - Real Or Fake?
    P
    Many

Paul - I agree with your observations on the Officers Tab, there's just something a little off about the whole thing. The details are close, but none spot on. No real signs of age or storage on it either. The tab is about 1.5 times thicker than other genuine examples I have handled. The outer bullion thread piping concerned me too, as I could not locate a single example with the same pattern / texture. The thread on the runes is good but much less substantial in appearance and construction. When compared to Al's good example the alignment as well as the quality issues become much more apparent. This tab from the start worried, as it looked much "too good to be true!"

Vocht - Thank you for mentioning the EM Eagles, I was worried about the pair as they appeared to be almost "too clean" and show no age whatsoever. The lack of glow under the UV light seemed light a good indicator, as well as the good quality construction, but I have seen reproductions that look nearly as good making it very tough to say for certain.

John - Very much appreciate your response as it confirms many of my suspicions! The EM Eagles look good to you? Not too clean? I suspect / hope they could be the "Dachau Variant" as they are in very clean, unissued condition. In the same breath, I also found this image here on the forums depicting reproduction examples and Eagle #6 looks awfully close to my own, what say you? Here is the link: (https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...ge_4992346.jpg)

Here is a photo of a supposed Dachau Eagle that looks very close to my pair, but there are still a few mild differences that can be noted: (Un-issued SS Sleeve Eagle for A Dachau Horde)

The EM Tab really has me on the fence, what makes you say it's a repro? I am just curious, as it is very convincing in hand and did react under UV light. The tab on Kelly Hick's site is also identical, but he too could have been fooled. One thing I do not like about the tab is the lack of stitching around the runes, almost all Late War Bevo examples I can find have this. I have mentioned that the tab is very close to my Dachau Totenkopf tab in size, feel and construction however EM tabs from that source all have the stitching around the runes as well as the tell-tale thread on the backside. This tab exhibits neither of those characteristics.

The eagles look good to me. I agree with Aldo about that last pattern rune tab. That would be very late war. The buckram core on the other tab looks a little off. It looks like spacing in between the weave. I could be wrong. Always better to see this in person but that's just my opinion. Either way good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2