Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS collar tabs

Article about: Hello all I don't have very good thoughts about them, but a friend told me to ask experienced SS collectors. Thank you in advance for all information. Regards Stan

Stan,

I would be hesitant to accept theses tabs as original due to the ink stampings on the back. Although it has been determined that late war backing did include cardboard, I can't recall seeing or reading anything in references that would indicate that ink stamps were applied.

I believe these are very good reproductions that are trying to be convincing as late war originals, meant to deceive a potential buyer.

What are the meanings of the ink stamps on the back 2/481? Is this supposed to be a Makers Code? We don't know, hence the suspicion. Without any wartime documented evidence that these tabs were made somewhere and stamped to identify who made them, they are just fantasy markings, and again to the unsuspecting buyer they would believe these to be original.

Not something I would want in my collection..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS collar tabs
    P
    Many

All feedback is appreciated.
    Regards
    Stan
    Last edited by Skalski; 01-22-2022 at 09:50 PM.

In my opinion no good cloth and backing are not of original production

I would not buy these.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I also would not solely rely on the distance from the corners of the tab to the pip as an indicator. Andrew Mollo writes in his SS uniform series that many unofficial variations of rank pips (which included size variations and subtle design differences) were used so it's not a cut and dry issue.

?

Additional: The backing looks live the collar tabs of the NVA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2