Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

SS-Helferinnen

Article about: When I first started collecting TR, I was told by a local dealer that genuine SS (and AfrikaKorps) stuff was as "rare as hen's teeth"... Not sure I believe that now, but following

"Of the many groups of Dachau insignia I have had, only one group had a helfrin badge. These were evidently made there..."

Just to clarify a small point, all my researches into the Uebungslager complex at Dachau would indicate that badges were not made there. After approval, badges were manufactured via the RZM at licensed insignia suppliers and then delivered to Dachau for distribution, hence the number found there at the end of the war.
    Items of clothing were certainly manufactured at the Dachau clothing works as many period images show but there does not appear to be any facility for the production of insignia.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Helferinnen
    P
    Many

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    "Of the many groups of Dachau insignia I have had, only one group had a helfrin badge. These were evidently made there..."

Just to clarify a small point, all my researches into the Uebungslager complex at Dachau would indicate that badges were not made there. After approval, badges were manufactured via the RZM at licensed insignia suppliers and then delivered to Dachau for distribution, hence the number found there at the end of the war.
    Items of clothing were certainly manufactured at the Dachau clothing works as many period images show but there does not appear to be any facility for the production of insignia.
    I must strongly disagree with my colleague. My statement was based on first hand information I received from several veterans who were stationed at Dachau. Due the paranoid atmosphere surrounding SS insignia, some of the information I obtained independently from these men who were there, I prefer to keep part of what was told me to myself. However, the blanket statement of insignia not being produced at Dachau is incorrect.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hallo everyone of us.

I will add some information about SS-Helferinnen : there was only SS Kriegshelferinnen, and SS-Nachrichtenhelferinnen consider as full SS, the last one belong from the Weiblichen Nachrichtenkorps der SS (WNK-SS)
    _the ss-Aufseherinen Koncentration-Lager = concentration warder/martinet were not allowed to wear SS distinctive insignia (but as some did SS Hauptamt send a note to denounce this fact and prohibit this practice...Have to find it in my documents).

So when man speaks about SS-Helferinnen the female camps guard SS-Aufseherinen should not be included.

The ss-Krieghelferinnen help in cleaning, as secretaries and other simply duties or functions which did not required to succeed the Nachricht exam of the SS-Helferinnenschule Oberehnheim, most of them work in Lebensborn houses. Some Krieghelferinnen were even girl who failed the exam.

During the first 8 week shool time in Oberehnheim Elsaß =Alsace the girls were named SS-Maiden (offizielle Benennung von SS-Helferinnen während der Ausbildung), Then if they passed exam they could go for higher study from 6 to 24 weeks more in Draht, Funk, Stabs- und Verwaltungsdienst, Hauswirtschaft, Unterführerinnenschule in one of the 5 teaching group "fünf Ausbildungsgruppen".
    sources :
    SS-Helferinnenschule Oberehnheim (Bestand)
    BArch, NS 32-II
    Kontext:
    Bundesarchiv (Archivtektonik) >> Norddeutscher Bund und Deutsches Reich (1867/1871-1945) >> Inneres, Gesundheit, Polizei und SS, Volkstum
    Bestandslaufzeit:
    (1933-1937), 1942-1945

Besprechungen mit dem Reichsführer-SS.- Grundsatzfragen über Organisation und Uniformierung
    Archivaliensignatur:
    BArch, NS 32-II/3
    Kontext:
    SS-Helferinnenschule Oberehnheim >> NS 32 II SS-Helferinnenschule "Oberehnheim" >> Errichtung, Organisation und Entwicklung
    Laufzeit:
    1942-1943

Zusammenarbeit der bei der SS eingesetzten Frauen mit der Reichsfrauenführung in Fragen der Betreuung der in den besetzten Gebieten eingesetzten deutschen Frauen
    Archivaliensignatur:
    BArch, NS 19/2479
    Kontext:
    Persönlicher Stab Reichsführer SS >> NS 19 Persönlicher Stab Reichsführer-SS >> C Aufgabenverwaltung >> C.17 Arbeit, Soziales >> C.17.2 Soziales, insbes. Fürsorge- und Versorgungsangelegenheiten der SS
    Laufzeit:
    Mai 1942 - Aug. 1942 SS-HelferinnenSS-Helferinnen

Here is about the breast SS oval insignia, offer to the "Mädel" who passed the exam of the SS-Nachrichtenschule Oberehnheim, later renamed "Reichsschule-SS", as proof of the succeed. Helferinnen were given 2 or 3 insignias for the SS-helferin 3 pockets service tunic, for the long coat, and as spare, (for the parade tunic for rich women who can affor a taylor made suit...some did). Woman can buy other SS oval to a "stickereien" in Strasburg or anywhere else. My veteran told me that her own insignia where not sewing but attached to the suit with 4 "clips" ( I do not know the name in english") in oder to avoid the twisted thread of metal of her insignia and the metal cord around to be destroyed by the dry cleaner when she got to clean it.
    So these ovals are unusual due to the small amount of SS-Nachrichthelferinnen, the BUNDESARCHIV give a total amount of more or less 3000 SS-Helferinnen.
    So to find a real one...is difficult:
    _you have to get a magnifying glass to see corrosion on the twisted metal thread and on the twisted cord aound. this is impossible after 70years not to have minor corrosion between the twist
    _the fabric should be mostly of wool or mixed with Zellwolle= Acetat or cupramonnium (rayonne or fibrane) for german made, or Viscose for Alsacian Made, (german use vikose too)
    the carboard under the aluminium thread should be water repellent, brown or black, but at the end of the war ...they use what they got, but anyway it should be an old made material, mat old aspect.
    _normally must of rigid insignias like this oval got 1 or 2 layers of glued* black coton cloth, and were "woven" with thin white strong mat coton (not mercerized=rendered shining) or white or yellow linen or the better hemp which become stonger with water...but you have to see the back !!!

*glues were made from dextrin or collagen, not the actual glue for cloth.

Sorry about a taping mistake: read Aussehrerin instead of Aufsehrerin.
    SS-Helferinnen
    SS-Helferinnen
    here you will see to hold in place the oval ss runes Badge a "quick needle sewing" work with only 6 or 7 stitches, so it is more easy to take it away from the suit in case of dry cleaning! Always clever women !
    They did the same with the arm eagle on the black Acetat overall.

So if you find a ss runes badge with machine sewing "tracks" on it, just be suspicious and look closer.

If someone is interesting, I can develop more, and got pictures of some items in my own collection, but less educational than original pictures.

Au revoir
    Last edited by rbminis; 11-25-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Well, I will terminated with this interesting picture...

It is say in some place and books that SS-Nachrichthelferinnen never wear tie/Krawatten...

Here on this picture no doubt all of them were wearing black tie.

Hope it may help, and understand that only WW2 period pictures tell the true...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Helferinnen  
    Last edited by brandeburg; 11-24-2017 at 06:18 AM.

It takes time to find in all my books and scans, to give readers the sources of what I wrote:
    here about schneider made suit, taylor have the knowledge to make LW-Helferin or SS-Helferin suits :book source= Praktische und Sparsame Einteilung der Einlagen für Schneiderkostüme

hier my source upon embroidering : Stickereihandwerk Buch preconise to use ALSA coton type 40 or 60 from Dollfus-Mieg & Cie for twisted wire in metal handwork and DMC N°150 for Mechanishe Stikereien.

and about mixed woll with Ersatz : (the first one is in Englsh, so no trouble for most of you Sirs.)
    sources/Quelle
    Bulletin 300 April 1942 agricultural experiment station. Kansas states college «*synthetic fiber and textiles*»
    Neuer Forschungen auf dem Gebiete der Textilefaserkunde sep. 1936 Kolloid Zeitschrift heft 2
    Angewandte Chemie n°28 1937 n.35 2 sept. 1939 n°43 1940 ….
    Kunstseide und Zellwolle nach dem Viskose -Verfahren 1940 Dr. Kurt Götze Berlin Verlag
    Signal heft ERSATZ -halbarer als Naturstoff (PeCe ,Perlon, Zellwolle)
    H. Mendrzyk, H. Sommer u. 0. Viertel, Gebrauchseigenschaften vistralanhaltiger Tuche Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1940 about Zellwolle and Vistralan Graublau & Feldgrau textiles.

Intelligente Verbindungen | Band 1 (2011) Wechselwirkungen zwischen Technik, Textildesign und Mode Tagung in Krefeld | 12.–14. März 2009

There is an extraordinary Museum upon 3°reich textiles , will find the adress.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Helferinnen   SS-Helferinnen  

Add: DMC N°150 for Mechanishe Stikereien =for the shuttle (under) thread. Sorry to forget this important information.

?

I would like to ask if there´s anyone here who knows the color of the SS helferinnen uniform (I don´t mean either the Aufseherinnen or the Kriegshelferinnen, but really only the uniform of the SS Reichsschule graduates in Oberehnheim.) Feldgrau or grey ? Does even exist any preserved SS helferin uniform which is really 100% original ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3