Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Totenkopf Ring - early fake, modern fake.. or the real deal?

Article about: Evening everyone, Firstly i am new to the forum so apologies if i have posted in the wrong section I have always wanted a totenkopf ring, wether it was real or fake i still wanted one, howev

svenga
    ?

Default Totenkopf Ring - early fake, modern fake.. or the real deal?

Evening everyone,

Firstly i am new to the forum so apologies if i have posted in the wrong section

I have always wanted a totenkopf ring, wether it was real or fake i still wanted one, however a genuine one was preffered because of the history, past & alike behind the ring.

Recently i have managed to get my hands on one, however i am completely unsure on its origin, in my opinion it looks like an early fake. I know from reading other forums etc that even the un-official personell rings (reals ofcourse) in any condition go for mad money, i did not pay an other lot for mine so this leads to suspect she is a fake or good copy.

What makes me think it is an early fake is the condition of the ring, it is worn! scratched, and as if it has been dug up (dont get me wrong a few hours outside and in the shed and any ring can get this look) but it is not like any other repro i have seen on the net, the skull is very close to the genuine one used on tags etc and looks the part more than some repros, thats why i am thinking it is an earlier repro of better quality.

However i think i am better of leaving the guys with the real know to decide for me, please dont slag it off if you saw this for sale, i didnt pay over much and i am happy with it. And with fairness it is ten times nicer than the latvian repros on ebay at this current time.

So any ideas guys on any kind of origin or info?

2. # ADS

Default Re: Totenkopf Ring - early fake, modern fake.. or the real deal?

I am sorry I cannot give you an answer,but I think your right, about the early repo theory. I know many years ago I seen them(supposedly originals) in person, and was rather dismayed at the rough quailty. but was told thats because they were worn. they did make a bunch of them,from what you see googling pics. I would love to see what comes of this

Interestingly, it is worn and scratched on the outside front, but no wear to either
    side of the skull, or inside. If it were truly worn for a substantial length of time,
    the lettering inside should be almost illegible.
    I think it is a recent fake..........

Just my two cents.
    Regards,

Steve.

svenga
    ?

Hmmm Could be right Steve, but rings commonly wear on the outside more than the soft natured inside.

Anyone else, somebody must know for deffinate, i will post more pictures when it arrives.

svenga
    ?

Just an update, this is an early fictional fake. made from the band of a ring set within a totenkopf skull button, this was then set in wax. The final peice had the inscriping carried out afterwords.

Past few days i have been on an honour ring forum and learned loads!

Thanks anyway guys.