Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Dragoner/Dragoons Headgear

Article about: Baden Reserve Dragoner Regt 20 Officer's Schirmmütze Credit: Tony

You need sunglasses just to look at that beauty--my kinda cap, in my kinda condition--thanks for posting.....
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Here is a named visor to Nobility. His full name is:

Wilhelm von Maltzan Freiherr zu Wartenberg und Penzlin.

He made Rittmeister in September 1900 -

in 1909 he was a captain in Dragoner Regiment Nr.9 (1. Hannoversches)

in 1910 he transferred to the Afrika Schutztruppe

his last assignment (1914) was as Rittmeister in Dragoner Regiment Nr.17

He was retired as Major a.D. after the war (1918)
    Good morning,

firstly, lovely cap.

I am afraid you are mixing up your Maltzans. I could not reconcile the fact that an officer in the Prussian army spent 14 years as a Rittmeister; it did not happen. One was promoted before being passed over by a more junior officer or required to retire. The Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 9 Rittmeister Maltzan (Ernst) was indeed a captain with seniority of 14.9.00 but died on 23 December 1909.

Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 17 Maltzan (Friedrich) with seniority of 1.10.12 survived the war and retired as a Major.

Regards
    Glenn

Glenn thank you for your feedback, much appreciated!

The Letter below the Freiherr's crown is a W, hence it could not be Ernst or Friedrich. It would have to be a first name beginning with the letter - W. Which is how one arrives at: Wilhelm von Maltzan Freiherr zu Wartenberg und Penzlin

Good morning,

I was not making any comment regarding the actual owner of the cap but merely confirming the correct names and service of the Rittmeisters of DR 9 and 17 as referenced in your initial post respectively, neither of whom was named Wilhelm.

DR 9: Adolf Carl August Ludwig Ernst

DR 17: Friedrich August Ulrich Sophus

Wilhelm Bernhard Ulrich was a Leutnant d.R. in DR 18.

Regards
    Glenn

Reserve officer of 3. Badisches Dragoner-Regiment „Prinz Karl“ Nr. 22.

Dragoner/Dragoons HeadgearDragoner/Dragoons Headgear

Officer of Dragoner-Regt. König (2. Württembergisches) Nr.26. Beautiful, high-quality example with a baron’s “Freiherrenkrone” over the owner’s initial “G.”

Officer’s cap for Grenadier-zu-Pferd-Regt. Freiherr von Derfflinger Nr.3, Westfälisches Dragoner-Regt. Nr.7, or 3. Schlesisches Dragoner-Regt. Nr.15. Cornflower blue with pink band and piping. Pre-1897 example before the introduction of the national cockade. Nifty makers mark with a photographic image of the young Kaiser Wilhelm II inside.

Sep, I need sunglasses to be able to look at those beauties, they are so pristine (& farbfrisch)!
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Officer Feldmutze for Grenadier-Regt. zu Pferde Freiherr von Derfflinger Nr. 3 (Bromberg), Westfalisches Dragoner-Regt. Nr. 7 (Saarbrucken), or 3. Schlesisches Dragoner-Regt. Nr. 15 (Hagenau)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dragoner/Dragoons Headgear  

Reserve Officer Feldmtze for Oldenburgisches Dragoner-Regt. Nr. 19
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dragoner/Dragoons Headgear  

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast