Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German Bavarian Medical Cap Too good?

Article about: Here are auction photos for a WW1 German Bavarian Medical NCO’s Peaked Cap I’m hoping to bid on….however….the wool in the cap is puzzling me? It looks very ‘new’ to me. A strange

Default WW1 German Bavarian Medical Cap Too good?

WW1 German Bavarian Medical  Cap Too good?WW1 German Bavarian Medical  Cap Too good?WW1 German Bavarian Medical  Cap Too good?WW1 German Bavarian Medical  Cap Too good?WW1 German Bavarian Medical  Cap Too good?WW1 German Bavarian Medical  Cap Too good?

Here are auction photos for a WW1 German Bavarian Medical NCO’s Peaked Cap I’m hoping to bid on….however….the wool in the cap is puzzling me?
    It looks very ‘new’ to me. A strange mix of wool that looks very familiar to reproduction pieces.
    Any thoughts please?

Regards
    Phil

Phil; I think that is a reproduction, and a very good one. For comparison, this is a 1908 Kaiserlichemarine hat that I had made. I wrote two books, one about the U-Deutschland exclusively and one that told about the boat's connection to the Boston Sabotage Cell in WW1. I went through a British company, War Hats, that deals with Robert Lubstein Militärmützenfabrik - EREL®, in Berlin. They made an exact copy of the Deutsche Ozean Reederei (DOR) hat that included an exact copy of the original hat badge. Like your hat, this hat is pristine and no hat that was more than 100 years old would look like that even if it was never worn. They will even age the hat for you so that it looks genuinely old and used. Dwight

WW1 German Bavarian Medical  Cap Too good?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German Bavarian Medical  Cap Too good?  

Hi Dwight.
    Thank you for your reply. I’m thinking you’re correct. A repro , albeit a good one , but a repro.
    I am familiar with Lubsteins caps and I think this is one.
    A repro is better than a fake….but not as good as the real thing obviously!
    Thanks my friend