MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Emil Voos double etched

Article about: This is my Voos maker marked double etched. I believe this one to be correct. I'm very fond of the patina. This is also my first post using compress app. So hopefully the photos turn out OK.

?

Default Emil Voos double etched

This is my Voos maker marked double etched. I believe this one to be correct. I'm very fond of the patina.

This is also my first post using compress app. So hopefully the photos turn out OK.

Please let me know what you think.

Tim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Emil Voos double etched   Emil Voos double etched  

Emil Voos double etched   Emil Voos double etched  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Emil Voos double etched
    P
    Many

I like it.

?

Hi Tim

Emil Voos etched blades are a bit of a minefield, numerous copies are known, their etch makes them worth at least 5x their normal worth.
    This etch is quite a bit off center and is not the crisp one i would like to see, and that disturbs me.
    The pommel has been replaced with an early type and should be a generic type A, like the guard.

Best
    Ger
    Emil Voos double etched

I've been away too long from collecting these double etched blades by Voss. Makes sense though if a copy cat can cash in on a high end item, they go for it. Gerrit, when did the reproducers get active in doing this? I guess I was fortunate, when I acquired mine at the time the source was clean but these days that's changed. Money sure has tainted what was once a fun hobby, it has become as terrible as dealing in art, fraudsters always waiting to swoop.

?

Yes daggers seem to be minefield. I purchased both my etched from Wittman. Also bought a Emil Voos SS which I put on Here. Guess I will see if he will buy them back. If anyone has advice on a dealer for daggers please let me know.

Thanks for thechelp Tim.

I agree with Ger on the pommel replacement and the curious placement of the etch. These items were special purchase pieces at extra cost so generally speaking great care was used in making them. I would think this one would not have passed a cursory inspection however the logo is the stamped oval logo which makes me curious. Also, maker marked examples typically came with the extra cost ivory grip and unmarked ones usually the orange trolon grip like this one. I just don’t know but would not want it for my collection with issues like this.

Placement of the etching template is important. With these thin blade daggers perfect placement is not easy, but a Solingen master etcher should achieve better than the wide border on one side as seen in the OP's example. Ask yourself, as a buyer in 1937 would you accept that or ask for a nicer placement?

Emil Voos double etched

?

Quote by Billy G View Post
    I agree with Ger on the pommel replacement and the curious placement of the etch. These items were special purchase pieces at extra cost so generally speaking great care was used in making them. I would think this one would not have passed a cursory inspection however the logo is the stamped oval logo which makes me curious. Also, maker marked examples typically came with the extra cost ivory grip and unmarked ones usually the orange trolon grip like this one. I just don’t know but would not want it for my collection with issues like this.
    Billy the logo we see here is etched, not stamped.

I compared the one above with a known original, look at the difference in finish, thickness of the floral lines, and the way an original is centered.
    I for sure would not want the above dagger in my collection.

Ger
    Emil Voos double etched

Ger, the quality of the pictures isn’t terrific and I guessed it was stamped as I’ve never seen this logo where it was etched. Do you think this blade could have been period but rejected due to obvious quality issues?

?

Quote by Billy G View Post
    Ger, the quality of the pictures isn’t terrific and I guessed it was stamped as I’ve never seen this logo where it was etched. Do you think this blade could have been period but rejected due to obvious quality issues?
    Billy I think my last reply said enough about my feelings about this dagger, but.... there is always room for speculation, but the question is... would you like a dagger that needs an explaination or a story when you want to sell it?
    The dagger on the right in the comparison pic sure doesnt need one

Regards,
    Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 02-06-2023 at 05:37 PM.