Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Heer dagger need opinions!

Article about: What do the experts think about this dagger? Thank you!

?

Default Heer dagger need opinions!

What do the experts think about this dagger?

Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer dagger need opinions!   Heer dagger need opinions!  

Heer dagger need opinions!   Heer dagger need opinions!  

Heer dagger need opinions!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer dagger need opinions!
    P
    Many

?

That’s a textbook army dagger with a type 4 Eickhorn crossguard. And before someone is going to say something about the position of the maker mark, it is NOT on the wrong side although most of times the trademark is on the back.

Danny

?

Yes Danny its textbook 4th type, and yes logo can be on both sides, although with Eickhorn its common to have then on the back

Ger

?

I'm a bit on a mission here to get rid of this myth that the maker mark should be on the back

Why do we see some makers with the maker mark on the front more than others. For example ealy Alcoso army daggers? Well, in general there are three possible explananations:
    1. The workers in the Alcoso factory put the trademark on the frontside more often than workers in others factories because they didn't pay attention to it and other workers did
    2. The workers in the Alcoso factory put the trademark on the frontside more often than workers in others factories because they were told/ordered to do so
    3. Many early Alcoso daggers have fixed/frozen pommels so a collector couldn't change the trademark to the back while daggers of other manufacturers could easily be "adjusted"

I've studied the position of trademarks for quite some time and I go for option 3. I have observed that in many cases where the maker mark is on the front, the pommel is frozen. No way a collector can turn that blade to the "correct" position

I will admit that in the beginning of my collecting days I also thought the maker mark should be on the back and turned a couple of blades so I had the maker mark on the "right" side again. I am certain that many other collectors have done this, dealers too As a dealer you don’t want customers argueing that you sell daggers with makermarks on the wrong side I also liked this better because you could see the trademark better

Here are some examples of all kinds of makers for those who are interested
    A widely spread misunderstanding

Regards
    Danny