Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Heer Dagger - Quick look

Article about: Hello Gents, My friend picked this up at a local show two weeks ago. He sent me these photos. He's concerned about originality. He had two questions 1) Primarily his concern was on the scabb

MAP
    ?

Default Heer Dagger - Quick look

Hello Gents,

My friend picked this up at a local show two weeks ago. He sent me these photos.

He's concerned about originality. He had two questions

1) Primarily his concern was on the scabbard hanger bands.
    2) Tang of the blade. Any red flags?

I'm no pro so posting it here.

Blade is unmarked.

(Yes, photos are a bit lacking. If you need more. just ask me an I'll get them)

Heer Dagger - Quick look

Heer Dagger - Quick look

Heer Dagger - Quick look

Heer Dagger - Quick look

Heer Dagger - Quick look
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Dagger - Quick look
    P
    Many

Hi Michael...the scabbard has that swirling effect of the dots on it which leads me to think this scabbard is fake.

Looking at the inside of the Pommel has the Horster trade mark and leading me to Gerrits Reference the crossguard appears to be a Horster Type 2.
    Gerrit will have to explain and clarify further ...but thats as far as I got and with the blade being unmarked ..Horster may have supplied the fittings to this unknown producer.

Wait for Gerrit or Danny to further clarify.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

Thanks Larry. Appreciate the info. Will wait for Ger / Danny or others.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Larry / Michael,

Dagger is ok. It’s a Hörster type 2, scabbard is ok too.
    The rings is probably a Hörster thing I have them in mine Hörsters too.
    Here a picture of a Hörster 2 look closely than you notice the rings.

Proost,

Ron

Heer Dagger - Quick look

MAP
    ?

Thanks Ron. Greatly appreciate the information. I will pass it along to my friend

Do you know if Horster used unmarked blades?

?

Michael,

I don’t know if Hörster used unmarked blades, normally they are marked.
    But if there are more complete Hörsters with unmarked blades than it could be possible.

Ron

MAP
    ?

Quote by Ron K View Post
    Michael,

I don’t know if Hörster used unmarked blades, normally they are marked.
    But if there are more complete Hörsters with unmarked blades than it could be possible.

Ron
    Thanks again! I was thinking it was possible Hörsters maybe sold parts to a small time shop. But no matter either way. Parts are original and that is what my friend was concerned about.

?

Nice to see the typical Horster cast mark in the pommel, most likely the guard has one too on the inside.
    I can see why larry pointed out the swirl pattern, as swirling in a lot of cases means repro, but not in all.
    We see them every now and then on original scabbards too, and in that case look at the complete picture: does it have original scabbardbands? how is the throat attachted etc.

In this case i have no problems with this originality of this scabbard, it should have the backside throat screw.
    The tapered tang blade is original too.
    Why an unmarked blade?
    Sometimes sold to distributers to stamp their own name on it like Zeitner Wien for example or G.Weyersberg.
    I would always prefer a marked blade if i have the choice, but this one has all original parts.

Ger

MAP
    ?

Thanks Ger,

Late yesterday my friend sent me a photo of the inside of the cross guard and it too had the Horster makers mark. I will attach it in a bit. Currently replying from my cell phone.

Interesting to learn about why the maker mark is missing. Makes perfect sense.

Appreciate the help from you, Ron and Larry.

Edit: Here is the photo

Heer Dagger - Quick look
    Last edited by MAP; 01-05-2022 at 05:24 PM.