Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Horster heer dagger crossguard

Article about: Hi all. I Hope you’re all safe and well. I’m hoping for some reassurance on a dagger I recently purchased. It’s a HORSTER , nice blade, hanger and portepee. All nice and tight. From a

Default Horster heer dagger crossguard

Hi all. I Hope you’re all safe and well.
    I’m hoping for some reassurance on a dagger I recently purchased.
    It’s a HORSTER , nice blade, hanger and portepee. All nice and tight. From a good dealer and I’m happy with the purchase.
    My only query is the crossguard. The swastika just looks....sloppy?
    It is showing signs of wear granted but I’d have thought the swastika would have been more precise maybe.
    Thanking you in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Horster heer dagger crossguard   Horster heer dagger crossguard  

Horster heer dagger crossguard   Horster heer dagger crossguard  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Horster heer dagger crossguard
    P
    Many

?

I am not an expert on these at all.
    I took yours and an image from Lakeside traders site. He currently has this EF Horster Heer for sale.
    When comparing, you see a big difference, But maybe this is a "variation"..

Let see what the experts have to say.
    Horster heer dagger crossguard Click to enlarge Horster heer dagger crossguard

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 12-07-2020 at 02:47 AM.

?

It does look pretty awful, I wonder if it's been re-nazified or even original to the piece, here is another Horster for comp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Horster heer dagger crossguard  
    Attached Images Attached Images Horster heer dagger crossguard 
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

I know some crossguards are extremely ‘sharp’ but I have seen a few not so. I was just wondering how ‘ not so’.
    It is hard to photograph and it probably looks worse than it actually is. There are no markings on the crossguard itself.

?

There are some folk's here who specialize in Heer Dagger's.
    Hopefully they can chime in.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Better photos of crossguard.
    I’ve looked long and hard at some examples on War Daggers.com and feel slightly more comfortable but it’s still a nag.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Horster heer dagger crossguard   Horster heer dagger crossguard  

Horster heer dagger crossguard  

I would say that crossguard also is very horrid and lacks any detail and is muddled.
    From What I can see form other Horster examples of the other production types..this one is not one of them.
    I would wait for Gerrit to chime in or send him a PM including this thread to take a peek.

The Heer Crossguards are an anomaly unto themselves and most of which have been " Hand Enhanced " or not enhanced ...yet the detail is there.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hörster did use Pack type 3 guards like this one on their latest batches, it came with a silverwash, which is seen op top of the guard, easy to see the grip ghost.
    I think this one been stored not that great and the guard suffered from moisture, the silverwash came off and the aluminium reacted which resulted in some pitting of the swastika, to me its an original.
    At some point its been cleaned and polished a bit, now showing pitting instead of eroded spots.

Regards
    Ger

?

Gwar you compared it with a Hörster type 2, but as i pointed out its in base a Pack Type 3.
    Phil showed in fact the proper Pack type 3 guard with its original silverwash still on it.
    Now you see what it looks like when the silverwash is gone and the alu with its pitting is polished ...

Ger

Many many thanks Gerrit for your time and expertise on this matter. I feel I can rest a little easier now.
    I’m happy to have an an honest example in my collection , the condition matching the price I paid.
    Thanks to all who took the time and answered. Stay safe all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast