Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A widely spread misunderstanding

Article about: Dear fellow collectors. I would like to start a discussion about the position of the maker mark on the blades of army daggers. Frequently I read comments on various forums where people state

?

Phil, what I was trying to explain is that when it comes to heer daggers, it’s seen so many times that I am convinced that the workers who assembled them just didn’t pay much attention to it. We shouldn’t forget that this was mass production and hundreds of thousands of these daggers were made. I think I’ve shown enough to prove that it happened with many makers but I could ad plenty more examples if I wanted to

From all types the army dagger is probably the easiest to assemble. That’s also the reason that we see so many parts daggers. A worker could assemble them with his eyes closed.

When it comes to for example navy daggers, that’s a whole different story. Because of the release mechanism, the blade can only be assembled one way. Interesting is that some navy producers always have the maker mark on the front.

When you have to assemble an SA or SS dagger, you can’t miss the motto. No wonder they are always assembled with the maker mark on the back.

Regards
    Danny

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A widely spread misunderstanding
    P
    Many

?

Thank you for the reply Danny.
    The one's I see the most are the lufty dagger with the maker logo on the front, Those also are easy to assemble and now it just made me wonder if those might have been assembled at the factory backwards.

When you had posted all those examples, it just had me thinking about those. Was the call to "fix it" the wrong thing to tell someone...
    In the case of Heer's, I'll never make that call again and I thank you for that info presented.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Remember also until the 1960's and 1970's there wasn't any published reference material for collectors, and of course no internet. Those first photos appearing in books became the guide. And if the dagger photographed had the makers mark on the reverse side, then "that must be the correct way" would become the thinking.

There's a lot of misconceptions that have developed in the hobby, the idea that the mini daggers had to be "salesman's samples" is another example.

?

Well, I just read the misunderstanding again

Let me add a few more examples....

It is my mission to get rid of this misunderstading

Regards
    Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A widely spread misunderstanding   A widely spread misunderstanding  

A widely spread misunderstanding   A widely spread misunderstanding  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2