Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fairbairn Sykes 2nd model darkened

Article about: I picked this up recently I usually do not collect to much British Militaria but this is what I have learned so far. It is a Second Model FS dagger the B2 type. It has a darkened Handle and

Default Fairbairn Sykes 2nd model darkened

I picked this up recently I usually do not collect to much British Militaria but this is what I have learned so far. It is a Second Model FS dagger the B2 type. It has a darkened Handle and blade, but the finish is faded. An unusual feature is that it is has the vets SN stamped in 2 places W 8834. I have not been able to ID the Veteran but would be grateful if anyone can help.
    Does my information seem right? Any comments on the dagger itself?
    -Ben
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fairbairn Sykes 2nd model darkened   Fairbairn Sykes 2nd model darkened  

Fairbairn Sykes 2nd model darkened   Fairbairn Sykes 2nd model darkened  

Fairbairn Sykes 2nd model darkened   Fairbairn Sykes 2nd model darkened  

Fairbairn Sykes 2nd model darkened  

Default Re: Fairbairn Sykes 2nd model darkened

Nice original 2 type dagger. Can't help you with the extra markings,
    but they could be as you say - the Vet's serial - or perhaps
    a stores/stock number.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

I have never thought about it being a stock number, that could be? Do you know of any other daggers with similar markings?
    -Ben

Not offhand, but there are other members who will have
    better ideas about why they are there than me.........!

Do you have the scabbard ?
    Regards,

Steve.

No unfortunately I purchased the knife from the vets family they also had a brought back German Bayo that looked like WWI issue. Its sad the family didnt even know if vet was in the US army or my guess he was a British Commando, from what I read this model was never really accessible for USGIs.
    -Ben

Hello Ben, this comment was posted by Ade, one of our moderators when I posted my FS fighting knife,
    "I have seen them carried by US servicemen as well as Brit/Commonwealth troops."
    I can not vouch for this myself but I do not doubt it.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

It's hard to tell what are this numbers unfortunately. Don't get mistaken by Wilkison swords and numbers on them. You can't research it.

As for the rest
    Gordon Hughes the author of
    'A Primer of Military Knives', believes that it is a serial numbers marked AFTER DELIVERY from WSC and Ron Flook agrees in his book with the comment that it is more likely that it is a store number (page 53 plate107)

A good link of FS knifes

But it's a nice example , let me know pls if wanna apart with it

Does anyone know a relative value, Ive never seen any stamped markings on a FS dagger so I dont know if it adds or takes value from it? Thanks -Ben

Thanks for the information Ralph I have been told this also, but I was told that USGI's mainly acquired the Wilkinson FS dagger because it was the main one available for PX to the US, but I have also been told by a 29th ID veteran that they traded m3 fighting knives for daggers to some British troops so they could have gotten any mfg.
    This is the best site i know if anyone is interested in learning more about them- Home

Really strange to see a marking like that on a F/S Knife,I am going to add my 5 pennarth worth here because medals awarded to women in WW2 have the prefix W before her number. Now I know these knives were issued to members of the SOE but can't imagine they would have added their numbers to the piece,unless done Post War. All in all a nice example of the 2nd pattern and desirable even more if it has its correct scabbard.
    Regards,Ivan