Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Fairbairn Sykes Dagger

Article about: I bought this today at a militaria and arms fair. It is dated 1940 and an arrowhead. Tell me your opinions This is what it says on the blade: John Blyde Clintock Works Sheffield

Default Fairbairn Sykes Dagger

I bought this today at a militaria and arms fair. It is dated 1940 and an arrowhead. Tell me your opinions

This is what it says on the blade:

John Blyde
    Clintock Works
    Sheffield
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fairbairn Sykes Dagger   Fairbairn Sykes Dagger  

Fairbairn Sykes Dagger   Fairbairn Sykes Dagger  

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Default Re: Fairbairn Sykes Dagger

Hmmmm .. not to good ...
    The 3rd Pattern did not exist in 1940 ...

The Knife itself looks to be a very late WW2 pattern or slightly post war ...
    The scabbard having the rounded end chape also points to very late / early post war issue.
    I've never seen a Fairbairn date stamped like that though, and I suspect the date has been added.

Regards

Gary J.

As Gary corectly points out the date has to be faked: third pattern knives did not exist at this time.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi,
    What a bloody shame someone stamped it if they only did there home work they would have known. Having said that it is still a
    good talking piece though, I hope you didnt pay to much for it.
    Regards Dave.

?

The handle does not show a copper wash which makes me think it is not even a military knife. The scabbard is an original WWII example.

Hi,it doesn't look like it's got a war time casting number on the hilt and it has the thin cross guard and a fake date stamp,very obviously someone's poor attempt to make it appear war time issue.
    Steve.

?

This knife is illustrated as photo 76 on page 49 of "Allied Fighting Knives and the Men who Made Them Famous" by Buerlein.
    He remarks that it is obviously "doctored" and obviously post war. I have examined two examples of this knife. One had a wartime grip with mould number and no casting flash at the seams. The other had a roughly cast postwar grip with obvious casting flash at the seams. Both knives exhibited thin postwar crossguards (thinner than 3mm) and were blackened by the simple and cheap expedient of black spray paint on grip and blade (just like the example shown above). Finally, the top nut exhibits a broad flat ground top which is another postwar characteristic. I believe Buerlein's assessment is quite correct. This didn't stop a Montreal collector with 25 years collecting experience from insisting his example MUST be genuine WWII because the "veteran who sold it to me said he was issued the knife!!!"

It's also possible that not only the date but the "crows foot" has been added and not original to the knife.

?

its also possible the whole crossguard is fake, because modern examples often have "england" "sheffield" or some other makers mark, and the good ones have a skull and keys(J. nowill and sons, Sheffield) (i believe) on the grip.

the broadarrow is a sign from the DoD the knife is accepted by them.

here's a great resource on post war knives:
    Post War Versions - The Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knives