Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Is this Fairbairn-Sykes knife worth anything!!

Article about: Very well mate. To answer your question short. Not much compared to a period knife. But it's still a nice knife. Why the two posts and user names?

Default Re: Is this Fairbairn-Sykes knife worth anything!!

Quote by ian View Post
    having looked closer at your pics
    i did a check on the nato stock no
    it has no reference
    canot be found
    even the description does not exist
    ??????? i believe you have a comercial scam knife there
    probably a good comecial j knowls
    in a box with a made up nato stock no
    and description to make it worth more ,, in my experience they did NOT ccome in loverly individual card board boxes
    no ,i dont believe anything about the box ,,or the labels on it
    the knife i think is good
    but probably made after the end of the last MOD contract ,, and that was j knowls
    cheers ian
    Hi Ian,

The knife shown by Time Bandit is completely legitimate. I had one that was identical, BNIB given to me by an NCO in 1 Para several years back. I in turn passed it on to a young chap in our village who was joining up as a trainee officer on tanks and was doing some partime work in the local pub before he went.

These exact knives were carried in depot stores, if not now, then until at least 2010, and were available to members of the Parachute Regiment 'on request' I was told. Certainly, my NCO buddy told me that some of the guys drew them from stores and carried them during 'Operation Barras', the rescue of half a dozen Irish Rangers from Sierra Leone back in 2000.

I think 'Time Bandit' will confirm that there are no markings on the knife whatsoever, they are completely 'sterile' as has been procedure with these particular type of service issued knives for some years now.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Yep, the knife is totally unmarked, 'sterile' as per the contract specs.

ian
    ?

well i am suprised
    glad you guys could put me rite on this as i was told that they were phaseds out after 1982 and a new knife was addopted
    but ry as i might no one could tell me what the new knife was
    it seems that i was miss informed ,and i bow to you guys for sorting it out
    thans ,,cheers ian

Quote by Datrus View Post
    The new Applegate Fairbarn model is an excellent fighting knife. Even has removable counter weights in the handle for optimizing the handling.

Boker Applegate Series of Combat Knives - Knifecenter.com
    Hi, mates,

wanna show you some images of an broken BÖKER A-F BLACK, (Applegate/Fairbairn "Black" Böker), I received yesterday.

This, particular, knife was worn by an member of the KSK , (Kommando Spezialkräfte) , a unit of the Bundeswehr.
    Some images, showin´details of the "interior" of the hilt:
    Is this Fairbairn-Sykes knife worth anything!!Is this Fairbairn-Sykes knife worth anything!!Is this Fairbairn-Sykes knife worth anything!!Is this Fairbairn-Sykes knife worth anything!!Is this Fairbairn-Sykes knife worth anything!!

Is this Fairbairn-Sykes knife worth anything!!Is this Fairbairn-Sykes knife worth anything!!Is this Fairbairn-Sykes knife worth anything!!Is this Fairbairn-Sykes knife worth anything!!Is this Fairbairn-Sykes knife worth anything!!

some parts / components of the knife seems to be manufactured in the States actually.

I would imagine the F S had a tendency to roll as you say. The guard, is hilt the correct term is also better on the A F. It's actually possible to catch the blade on another knife with it.
    See the images in #36 here, in this thread.

The new Applegate Fairbarn model is an excellent fighting knife. Even has removable counter weights in the handle for optimizing the handling.

Boker Applegate Series of Combat Knives - Knifecenter.com
    Applegate/Fairbairn "Black" Böker Bundeswehr

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4