Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Fairbairn–Sykes - William Rodgers

Article about: My Dad bought me this knife when I was a kid. So I've had it for a minimum of 40 years. Probably closer to 45. It unfortunately sat neglected in a box with other childhood memories in his at

I'm going to be a bad guy here and say that I don't think it's a war time knife.
    While William Rodgers did make issue knives but this is not one of them IMO.
    The heavy seam line in the grip and the very thin crossguard are typical post war features.

Compare the crossguard on yours to the one that Ralph posted or to the this one.
    This is a picture that was just sent to me from Roy Shadbolt who created -- wilkinsonfscollection.com .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fairbairn–Sykes - William Rodgers  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Michael, I hope you don't mind but I did send him the pictures that you posted
    without first asking.
    The picture above was part of his reply.

I don't consider these as fakes. These are post war examples made for
    the commercial market. I've got one very similar that I bought in 72 or 73.
    gregM

myself around.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I'm going to be a bad guy here and say that I don't think it's a war time knife.
    The heavy seam line in the grip and the very thin crossguard are typical post war features.

Compare the crossguard on yours to the one that Ralph posted or to the this one.
    This is a picture that was just sent to me from Roy Shadbolt who created -- wilkinsonfscollection.com .
    No "bad guy" here and never a worry to send the photos. It's always about helping and getting to the truth. I appreciate everyone help so far.

While I would be very happy if it was a war time produced blade my assumption was that it was always "cheap fake". It was only today when I pulled it out from my never ending post home reno unpacking that I noticed the markings on the cross guard.

The nice news is that it is at least a legit maker and not what I thought was a cheap 1970's Japanese knockoff. As I noted, I used this as a kid, and took it on a camping trip or two (why I have no idea as it is the WORST camping knife...but it looked cool I guess).
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Back in those days ( I was 15-16 ) I wore a cut off jean jacket and I had a
    long narrow pocket sewn on the inside where I could carry the knife
    hidden away. My teachers never knew that I was coming to class armed
    with a 7 inch blade.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 10-15-2021 at 02:46 AM.
    gregM

myself around.

Well spotted Greg.
    I'm going to have to be more observant of the thinner cross guard in the future.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Back in those days ( I was 15-16 ) I wore a cut off jean jacket and I had a
    long narrow pocket sewn on the inside would where I could carry the knife
    hidden away. My teachers never knew that I was coming to class armed
    with a 7 inch blade.
    ROFL...while I wasn't enough of a rebel to carry one to school I was allowed to bring my .22 rifle to school for the riflery team. The only stipulation was that it could be loaded (silly because we had to bring our own ammo too) and it had to remain in my locker. Those were the days!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I would think post war simply as there is no mold number on the grip and the thinner cross guard, which is common post war. I understand it was the Joseph Rodgers company that designed the 3rd pattern alloy grip. William Rodgers may be a later generation of the family

Lightbulb

The mould line in the grip is always something I watch out for. Dating of Third Pattern F-S knives is often very difficult, but genuine wartime examples which I've handled usually have very faint mould lines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2