Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

FS 2nd pattern? Authenticity check

Article about: I'm looking for an authenticity check on this one please.....blades aren't my thing. I've read through the Posts and recommended notes therein...and I THINK it's an FS Second pattern, possib

Default FS 2nd pattern? Authenticity check

I'm looking for an authenticity check on this one please.....blades aren't my thing.

I've read through the Posts and recommended notes therein...and I THINK it's an FS Second pattern, possibly "black". I'd like to try to date it too. The reason I'm asking is they always say "buy the item, not the story"....and it's the story which has been causing me doubt for 30-ish years....but on the basis that should not get in the way of a correct item, I wonder if someone could help me please.

Am I right re the make/model and is there any way of dating it please?

Thanking you in anticipation......

FS 2nd pattern? Authenticity checkFS 2nd pattern? Authenticity checkFS 2nd pattern? Authenticity checkFS 2nd pattern? Authenticity checkFS 2nd pattern? Authenticity checkFS 2nd pattern? Authenticity checkFS 2nd pattern? Authenticity check

It is a very nice original 2nd pattern FS knife. I don't have my books in front of
    me right now but I would date it 1941-1943.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Really?....thank you......it came from the attic of my Aunt-in-law (?) about 30 years ago......she's a dear old lady...no military connections as I could find...and it'd been up there for "years and years" before apparently..but she knew it was there.....it wasn't discovered by her - she simply thought it was time to get rid of it. On the basis that the story kinda sucked and that I'm a world record pessimist I'd assumed the worst....

a dating/period would really be the cherry on the cake....but only when you can....as we say, don't bust a gut!

Ade

very nice Wilkinson Fairbairn sykes 2 pattern type II. = an all over blued/blackened finish.
    Examples have been noted where the etching process has been applied before as well as after the bluing process, the later allowing for a much clearer representation of the etched panels.
    As the Second Pattern production commenced in August of 1941, it is reasonable to date these knives to the latter part of that year.

still looking for one of these all black type with etching pannels.

cheers Joop
    the Netherlands.

The things that dear old ladies keep in their attics... it makes you wonder what they used to get up to!

Thank you all so far........very pleasing news.....and now the only thing I’m worried about is my aunt!

CBH
    ?

Yes, she is now unarmed.

Good point...well made....but with the money I gave her (in my guilt) she could probably buy a LAW! :-)

A very nice example.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!