Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identification help

Article about: Hi All This is my first post and I’m here for some opinions on a knife I recently acquired. To me (and I am by noooooo means an expert!), it looks like a second pattern knife. Of course th

?

Default Identification help

Hi All

This is my first post and I’m here for some opinions on a knife I recently acquired. To me (and I am by noooooo means an expert!), it looks like a second pattern knife. Of course that doesn’t mean its original. There are a few things I’m not sure about though and it would be great to get your opinions.

Identification help

In no particular order, the inspection stamp on the hilt reads to me as a partial broad arrow pointing towards the cross guard and either a 6 or 9 Which way up should I be reading this?

Identification help

Also, is it fair to assume that given that the arrow is partial, I could be missing another digit too?

The only marks I can see on the cross guard are what read to me as a partial crown and arrow with a serifed I or a 1. Or maybe it’s a B and an arrow, not a crown…can anybody see anything different here and/or does this tell us anything?

Identification help

Also the ‘F S’ logo is on one side of the blade, while the other is blank – I think I read somewhere that Wilkinson Sword had a monopoly on this logo, but can’t see any of their markings elsewhere on the knife. However, having a quick poke around this forum, that assertion seems to be completely untrue – correct?

Identification help

Lastly I’ve read here that fakes often have overly-thick cross guards? What qualifies as overly thick? I’m getting a reading of somewhere in the 3.5mm range on this knife…

Thanks in advance folks!

Cheers

MAP
    ?

Welcome. We have a number of guys here who know their FS blades. They should be around shortly.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I am not sure about this one.
    A few things that I notice are, the etch appears to be quite a bit deeper than what I am used to seeing, and the letters are very clear and straight edged.
    I have never seen a crown stamp on a Wilkinson FS before, and I believe the "I" stamp on the hilt is intended to make someone believe this is an "Indian Contract" piece.
    The blade gives the impression that it is a hand ground example with the "triangle" at the hilt but, the "triangle" is much longer than any I have ever seen before.
    The shape of the handle is unusual as well.
    I suggest you wait for other opinions,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I'm sorry but this knife is a fake.
    The first thing to catch my eye was the crossguard which is much thicker
    that those found on original knives. Next is the Wilkinson logo which is
    die stamped and not acid etched. Another thing is the /l\ 9 inspection stamp
    which was used on knives made by J Clarke and Sons. It would not be found
    on a Wilkinson made knife. Then there is the strange marking on the cross guard
    (what ever it is) .

Again, sorry for raining on your first post.
    Greg
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I'd agree. The crossguard mark of a Board of Ordance crown together with broad arrow is unknown, and not used by Colonial Indian government. Cross guard looks a shade short in width as well. I would want to see the scabbard, as that would also be revealing. No scabbard is probably to be expected.

?

I don't really get why new 1st time posters who pretend to know nothing , but talking like a 18 year old , yet know every possible reason why the above item is no good in the hope of someone would say its ok therefore "Authenticating" it as an original and referring back to it as a sign of legitimacy.

?

No worries, I kind of suspected that was the case, hence my post. Appreciate your expertise an you taking the time to look, cheers for that. It only cost me a few quid anyway, so never mind, back to casually searching for the knife I've wanted since I was a kid I guess...I now know more than i did when I took a punt on this one eh?

?

Quote by Rick W View Post
    I don't really get why new 1st time posters who pretend to know nothing , but talking like a 18 year old , yet know every possible reason why the above item is no good in the hope of someone would say its ok therefore "Authenticating" it as an original and referring back to it as a sign of legitimacy.
    I'm pretty sure that's a rhetorical question, but I'll tell you why because I can.

I'd done maybe two hours of google research before coming here, so I knew something (which is not nothing) and I heard that this forum was full of informed enthusiasts. I think it probably is. So genuinely no pretence - did some light research, saw the knife looked dodgy, came here as an upgrade to Google.

I'm not sure why you think I talk like an 18 year old, or how you can determine that thought text, but I'm nearly 50 so quite flattered. I guess that's just a throw away comment anyway.

Authentication/legitimacy: I wasn't so much looking for authentication, more refutation I think. I thought the knife looked wrong, so this really wasn't about legitimising anything or making an attempt to create some kind of internet provenance (I think that's what you're implying?).

I posted here because I was interested in learning something, which I have. I now know more about FS knives than I did before posting and I can use that knowledge if I come across another.

Happy to elaborate if that doesn't make sense.

?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I'm sorry but this knife is a fake.
    The first thing to catch my eye was the crossguard which is much thicker
    that those found on original knives. Next is the Wilkinson logo which is
    die stamped and not acid etched. Another thing is the /l\ 9 inspection stamp
    which was used on knives made by J Clarke and Sons. It would not be found
    on a Wilkinson made knife. Then there is the strange marking on the cross guard
    (what ever it is) .

Again, sorry for raining on your first post.
    Greg
    Cheers for that, appreciated. I can't say i wasn't (hugely) suspicious.

Quote by BabyJ View Post
    Cheers for that, appreciated. I can't say i wasn't (hugely) suspicious.
    I'm happy to help if I can.
    Here is a web site that I highly recommend ----
    Home
    You'll find a lot of really good information there.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.