Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

43rd Regiment of foot button ground dug in New Zealand.

Article about: A relic from one of Britain's colonial wars. I have a gilt officer's tunic button for the 43rd Regiment of foot, Monmouthshire light infantry that was dug up in the 1970's at a battle site r

Default 43rd Regiment of foot button ground dug in New Zealand.

A relic from one of Britain's colonial wars. I have a gilt officer's tunic button for the 43rd Regiment of foot, Monmouthshire light infantry that was dug up in the 1970's at a battle site redoubt in New Zealand.

The 43rd were part of a British force of 1700 troops from several regiments and a Royal Navy detachment that attached a Maori held "pah" or redoubt near Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty. It was 29 April 1864 when the British attacked the 250 Maori dug in in two strong redoubts. The British had artillery with 110 & 40 pounder Armstrong guns and 24 pounder howitzers. Despite their numerical advantage the British were repulsed and suffered 35 killed and 75 wounded. Twice the casualties the Maori suffered. Among the British killed were the 5 officers of the 43rd including their commanding officer Lt Colonel Booth. The Maori abandoned the redoubt and many escaped. The repulse of the British attack was a humiliating blow for the 43rd and the Naval Brigade. The 43rd moved on to other battles in New Zealand and finally left for England in April 1866.

The button I acquired from a NZ Wars collector who had bought it from the person who had found it on the battle site. The gilt finish of the officer's button is remarkably preserved. It appears to be made by Jennens & Co London. A interesting link to history.

43rd Regiment of foot button ground dug in New Zealand.43rd Regiment of foot button ground dug in New Zealand.43rd Regiment of foot button ground dug in New Zealand.43rd Regiment of foot button ground dug in New Zealand.

MAP
    ?

Extremely well preserved. A nice piece of history to probably a long forgotten battle for most.

All the more interesting to know it belonged to one of those 5 officers.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very interesting bit of history! The button looks remarkable for having been dug. Thanks for sharing!

-Robyn

Nice button.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Certainly one of those items that would have a story to tell if only it could talk. Very nice.