Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

What have I got?

Article about: Please can somebody identify what this is please? It looks like it's been dug up as it appears to be a bit crusty. I bought it from a junk stall in a local antique market.

Default What have I got?

Please can somebody identify what this is please? It looks like it's been dug up as it appears to be a bit crusty. I bought it from a junk stall in a local antique market.
    What have I got?What have I got?

?

It looks like a button for a navy uniform. Apologies for not being able to provide much help, but someone else with more knowledge may be able to say which nation and timeframe it's from.

Possibly a German Navy Button...?
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 06-18-2017 at 03:32 PM.

I am thinking it is an 1870 Imperial German Naval Button. Looks legit.

It is French navy probably pre to early ww1. I have a load with Paris backstamps.

Thanks for your assistance, I saw a couple of these and I liked the look of them. Neither of them have any stamps or makers marks which made me curious. I've purchased other items from the same place that have turned out to be First World War, I've never come across so much WW1 stuff in one place before.

Navy buttons can be difficult as many buttons used similar anchor designs especially the merchant navy. Imperial German buttons usually have the crown because they were royal. Third Reich kriegsmarine buttons are very similar in design to yours with regard the anchor but are usually maker marked and have kriegsmarine marked on back. These have no crown as they were not commanded by royalty in the same way as French navy buttons as they are republican. I still have the jacket issued to me by the Royal Navy and these obviously have crowned buttons. I have many buttons identical to yours and some have a Paris makers back stamp.

Quote by Bonecollector View Post
    Navy buttons can be difficult.....
    Indeed hard to tell.
    But I am also thinking; French.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris