Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

1916 Holster and Take Down Tool Help Please

Article about: I picked this up at a small local gun show. It came with a matching number take down tool. This looks like a WWI holster converted during WWII for police issue. I am not smart enough to know

Default 1916 Holster and Take Down Tool Help Please

I picked this up at a small local gun show. It came with a matching number take down tool.
    This looks like a WWI holster converted during WWII for police issue. I am not smart enough to know if it was a converted artillery holster. What are the specific signs of that? Thoughts are appreciated.
    The take down tool, matches by number and appears original to me. There is also some fine metal wire that looks like an effort to replace stitching lost. I have no idea when that was done. No provenance with holster. It also came with a stark marked mag which I am posting in a separate thread.
    I would appreciate opinions on leaving the metal wire stitching as is or send to Jerry for a proper repair. I know the wire is part of the history and if I knew it was a field repair by a soldier I would leave it as is, but???
    All thoughts and opinions are much appreciated.
    John

1916 Holster and Take Down Tool Help Please1916 Holster and Take Down Tool Help Please1916 Holster and Take Down Tool Help Please1916 Holster and Take Down Tool Help Please1916 Holster and Take Down Tool Help Please1916 Holster and Take Down Tool Help Please1916 Holster and Take Down Tool Help Please1916 Holster and Take Down Tool Help Please

Great looking holster! Wish I could help more than this but to my (untrained eye) it looks like a standard P08 holster that's seen some use. I was looking over a video on an artillery P08 and the back of it has different stitching which would still be visible if one of those holsters was converted for a standard P08.

Time stamped to the back of holster shot: Sturmtruppen Firepower: The Artillery Luger - YouTube

Politefaun, this one is a converted military holster to Police use as witnessed by the buckle strap being removed with empty stitch holes. I have looked closely and it is not an artillery modified holster as there is no stitching holes remaining from the cleaning rod pouch being present.
    John

?

Nice pick up John.
    I guess I'm not smart enough either about the Artillery Luger conversion. But I do know that they had a barrel length of 7.9 inched VS the 3.9 on the standard issue.
    Did they convert those holsters to the shorter version??
    This holster looks to be the standard version.
    Matter of fact with that Date it would be the almost perfect match to have this in it.
    Just sayin if I was looking for a holster I would like that one.
    1916 Holster and Take Down Tool Help Please

But you did mention WW2 Polizei use, and 4K off my serial #. So Not a Perfect Match

As to the repair,
    If that is copper wire, It doesn't look that old. Copper turns a darker brown before the final oxidizes Green.
    And speaking of Green , I'm not seeing any verdigris forming around it's contact with the leather that we normally see with age between the two.
    If this is the case and you know somebody who can work some magic on it. Have it repaired and sold as such.

Just my 2 centavos on the subject.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 05-02-2021 at 04:13 AM.

I agree with Phil, I would think the wire stitching is relatively recent (might be fuse wire) and a careful restitch by a skilled leather worker would be well worth while.

Thank you for the replies and information. Evidently the take down tool is a post war East German (Vopo). I am disappointed in that. I just did not know enough about tools to know or understand the differences. The value in my mind and in reality, decreased as well with a Vopo tool. I think this on is a candidate for the stitching to be repaired. Jerry will make it look good.
    John