Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Matching P08 magazines

Article about: Was it common for magazines to be marked like this? It’s an all matching rig that was brought back by a church remembers grandfather and was discovered inside of a clock in a bag. The fami

Default Matching P08 magazines

Was it common for magazines to be marked like this, a number over a faint other one?
    It’s an all matching rig that was brought back by a church remembers grandfather and was discovered inside of a clock in a bag. The family had no idea it was there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Matching P08 magazines   Matching P08 magazines  

Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Original numbers were sanded off and re-stamped to match. You can see the sanding marks. The number fonts are not correct either. This was done post war by someone attempting to have a matching mags to a gun. It also appears one is a Heer mag and the other one is a Police mag (top one). The number 1 was made into a + Police mags were marked 1 & 2. Heer mags were not.
    John

Thank you John for the reply and the education. I’m still confused about the story from the family so I called my friend back and I was off a little on the story. As the story was told again is his grandmother gave him the pistol in the holster in a bag and said “here, this was your grandfathers and his brought it home from the war”. No one knew anything about the pistol in the house. I will have it in hand again on Sunday. I do know that when I broke it down last year everything matched.

John,
    Do you have an example of a police magazine with the number below the serial number and not above it?

Thank you,
    Marty

?

The second one looks like corect one even i dont see there is number under or not the plus is striked over a doubble i letter, and E/63 would speak for Mauser piece prior 1939, the first one was clearly filed with older serial number still visible there 1304 under the new applied 1701.

I do not have an example of that. I did check the Police Luger book by Tinker & Gruber and did not find any pics. The numbering was completed by the Police Armory and not from the factory so I think it still remains as a possibility. Less likely if they were marked at the factory. There does appear to be a difference in the style between the vertical and horizontal marking in the + The horizontal appears to be engrave and the vertical stamped. Just my opinion based on the pic. The patina is not the same vertical vs horizontal either.
    John

Thank you for the help. I will have the rig in hand tomorrow and will have photos of the pistol and holster.

Marty