Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

My $500 Luger - will it blow up?

Article about: I've always wanted a Luger but they've always been out of my price range, so of course when I saw this crappy one for sale, I was interested! It's a DWM. Anyone have an idea on the year? If

Quote by Chrish124 View Post

One poster even suggested metallurgical testing of the firearm. I doubt it turned to tin over time. Unless it was in a fire, the hardness and tempering of the steel should remain constant.

Besides, it sounds like the OP already tried it out and has lived to talk about it.
    Just a small point of order; I seem to be the one who made an oblique rererence to metallurgy but I certainly did not suggest that any kind of testing at such a level was in any way feasible.

In any case the science is not concerned with one metal turning into another, that would be Alchemy.

My point was that it is at that level where an invisible weakness that may cause catastrophic failure may lurk and that even an x-ray is likely to miss that. Rod (Vegtiius) mentioned the piece being "proofed" (for those unaware this involves deliberate application of an over pressure discharge through the breech and barrel to proove that the specified pressure should not cause a breech explosion). This is something beyond the capability (certainly in UK) of a gunsmith and can only be legally done in a government proof house. Even this will not certify against a frame failure which although not as scary is still somewhat disconcerting but at least you know that the barrel and breech are up to the job.

I know there are no proof houses as such in the US and manufacturers voluntarily carry out the process. So how can you re-proof a piece? I'm afraid I don't know the US system.

Whatever safety protocols are in place at user / storage levels history shows us time after time that you can not legislate for stupidity and ignorance.

Now I know this is a matter of subjection but I am afraid that a visual inspection by the local gunsmith which might be ok in the case of a pristine and un-blemished or at least fully servicable piece (vis reference to scope conversions), is simply not good enough with a piece that is very pitted and corroded.

Just because the OP fired it and it did not explode does not mean that the very next round won't be the "straw that broke the camels back".

The issue of de-activation is again one of subjection but it is surely the the only way to ensure that the piece is safe and if, as stated the intention is that it never be fired how much of an issue is that?

I certainly do not advocate chopping it into pieces like we see on those awful "reality" gunsmith TV programmes (is that deactivation in the US? I don't know)

As I say, this is opinion and we all know about opinions right? I have seen what a breech explosion can do and it kind of takes the sport out of sport shooting to my way of thinking. My Idea is always to err on the side of caution.

To use an increasingly popular salutation in the current circumstances,

Stay safe

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I believe that a Luger or any firearm should be fired at least a couple of times to see if it functions correctly. I feel the value of the firearm should reflect this. I have though experienced no dealer will promote this hear in the US. Every dealer will tell you take it to a gunsmith before firing pistol (shooter condition - non matching parts). Matching numbers and minty condition you probably should not take the chance of breaking a part. Back to your Luger.... If you take it to a gunsmith they will tell you are crazy to try and fire this pistol. Being that it has had a hard life, hid away in some damp cellar or attic, it still has some value. I would make a nice lighted display to put it in and look for a nicer Luger.

?

Has anyone suggested the bench vice grip and a piece of wire to pull it from a safe distance around a corner?

Hi Vocht, I think that would take all the fun out of shooting the pistol. Also that says not a pistol you would want to fire. One can dry fire it all day long though.

John

"Has anyone suggested the bench vice grip and a piece of wire to pull it from a safe distance around a corner?"

Squeezing the gun in a bench vice with enough force to withstand the recoil will be great for the antique grips. I am not sure if Ransom makes inserts for the luger, but then, the Ransom rest would cost as much as the OP paid for the gun.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4