Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need some help on unit marking please

Article about: Good morning I have come into possession a very nice * minty* early Erfurt P08 - all matching numbers including 2 magazines Holster and "take down" tool. I seem to be struggling id

Default Need some help on unit marking please

Good morning
    I have come into possession a very nice * minty* early Erfurt P08 - all matching numbers including 2 magazines Holster and "take down" tool.

I seem to be struggling identifying the unit mark on the inside strap.

Any help would be appreciated. I think it's 5th Inf Regt, but unsure of the sub unit.

Thanks in advance

Bob
    -----------------------------------------
    Ut Diu Ut Permanere
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need some help on unit marking please   Need some help on unit marking please  

Need some help on unit marking please   Need some help on unit marking please  

Not certain but based on common military principles either 7= Battalion. 8= Kompanie or in a smaller Orbat maybe 7 = Kompanie. 8 = Zug (platoon) would be my suggestion but I am sure we have somebody here who is well versed in the period nomenclature!

Nice P08 by the way. Can you tell us anything of the history?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

No history apart from a story - but that doesn't make it real.

It shoots like a P08 - all over the place

I also got this too from the same guy - Dates from around 1936

Thanks
    Bob
    Ut Diu Ut Permanere
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need some help on unit marking please   Need some help on unit marking please  

I think it is Unit Marking is 5th Infantry Regiment, 7th Company and the 8th Weapon on the roster.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I think it is Unit Marking is 5th Infantry Regiment, 7th Company and the 8th Weapon on the roster.
    Yep, makes sense. Happy with that Ties in perfectly with the idea of "Butt numbers".

Yes yes I know that is hilarious in N America so please translate that as "Stock (as in rifle stock) numbers"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks guys, that is very useful. Is there any way to research that unit?

Thanks
    Bob
    Ut Diu Ut Permanere

Try this one for size!

5. IR (KB) – GenWiki