Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual acceptance marks on a 42 code 1939 Luger

Article about: At first I thought that the only thing unusual about this pistol is that the barrel is not matching, although all other parts except the magazine are. That could easily be explained if the o

Default Unusual acceptance marks on a 42 code 1939 Luger

At first I thought that the only thing unusual about this pistol is that the barrel is not matching, although all other parts except the magazine are. That could easily be explained if the original barrel was damaged, and a replacement barrel installed. Then I started reading Jan Still's Luger board to get more information, and discovered other unusual things.

The serial number to this Luger has no letter suffix. I read that the factory began each year with a block of no letter serials, but the Mauser code for the beginning of 1939 was S/42. The code was changed to 42 during the q serial block in 1939, so no letter serials were not produced in 1939 with the code 42. Another Luger with no suffix, 1939 date, and 42 code was reported on the Jan Still forum. The explanation offered was that perhaps the frame was made at the end of 1939 and given a 1939 date. It was not assembled into a pistol until January 1940, and therefore was given a no suffix serial number for 1940. Another explanation could be that the original toggle with an S/42 code was replaced with a new toggle with the 42 code, and the new toggle was serial numbered to match the rest of the gun.

The most unusual thing about the pistol is the acceptance and proof marks. On this pistol they are eagle over 6 - eagle over 63 - eagle over 6 - eagle. I cannot find any record on the internet of an "eagle over 6" acceptance stamp. I examined the stamp with a 10x loupe, and it does not appear to be a lightly stamped 63, it seems definately to be a 6. There is an eagle on the mismatched barrel that is the same old style eagle as the proof on the reciever.

What is the opinion of Luger experts? Are the acceptance marks legitimate, or are they fake? By the way, the Luger shoots well.
    Unusual acceptance marks on a 42 code 1939 LugerUnusual acceptance marks on a 42 code 1939 LugerUnusual acceptance marks on a 42 code 1939 LugerUnusual acceptance marks on a 42 code 1939 LugerUnusual acceptance marks on a 42 code 1939 Luger

?

Hello
    I found "eagle over 6" mark, but it is not in the same place as yours.
    Barrel eagle is also there and so are "eagle over 63" marks.
    42 code should be verified in some list of production codes of German manufacturers.
    Mine is also weird, it does not have code but Mauser stamp for 1939 Luger.

As already mentioned on this forum, try to take better pics next time, these one are blurry and it is hard to see other markings.

Hope this was helpful.

Unusual acceptance marks on a 42 code 1939 LugerUnusual acceptance marks on a 42 code 1939 LugerUnusual acceptance marks on a 42 code 1939 Luger

thank you zoobar! I'll try to take better photos next time.