Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.

Article about: Extremely nice and very valuable Luger pistol. Yes it was made by Mauser. I would imagine the value could be as high as \\$2000 these days. I am sure it has much sentimental value so If it wer

?

Default Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.

My grandfather served in the US army's 6th Armored Division during WW2. His story about the pistol: While in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge, he spotted a German officer hiding in a tree. He raised his weapon and shouted in German for the soldier to get out of the tree. The officer climbed down but left something up in the tree. My grandfather told him to go back up to retrieve whatever it was. It turns out that the officer had stashed his Luger in it's case.

My grandfather brought the weapon back to the US after the war and it has largely sat in his safe for the past 55 years. He died earlier this year and it was passed to his son (my uncle). 1 month ago my uncle died and the Luger was passed to me. I'm posting pictures because I want to share this relic after decades locked away and also to see what information could be gathered from the markings. Any help is greatly appreciated and I hope you enjoy the pictures.
    Thanks!

Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.

Default Re: Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.

Hi, it looks really good. S/42 means it was made by Mauser, between 1936 to 1940 and it has the military proof mark, so it's not a civilian model. I am sure others will post more info for you.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.

a very nice luger indeed mauser as Jerry says the gun itself has full matching numbers but the 2 magazines arn't original to the gun (got replaced during war) oddly thought both magazines went with the same gun sometime thanks for sharing

?

Tom,
    Were magazines matched to the gun at the time of manufacture?
    Thanks!
    -Wil

?

Jerry,
    Which marking is the military proof mark?
    Thanks!
    -Wil

Quote by whuf View Post
    Tom,
    Were magazines matched to the gun at the time of manufacture?
    Thanks!
    -Wil
    yep but to find a gun with full matching numbers including magazine is very hard and would cost a hell of a lot

Quote by whuf View Post
    Jerry,
    Which marking is the military proof mark?
    Thanks!
    -Wil
    Outlined in red.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Appears to be a nice, matching luger. I have not seen any pictures of the full serial number, specifically the letter suffix. Look on the front of the frame under the barrel. BTW. One of the magazines appears to have the upper three digits the same as the other, but the 0 is missing in the least significant digit. While a huge coincidence, the magazines are very different, one nicked and one blued, different acceptance marks and one has a V letter suffix, while the other doesn't.

Bob

Very nice Luger! Thanks for showing.

Regards

Yesterday I inherited a 1936 Luger. I'm still in awe and would very much appreciate any insight into the markings.

36. Receiver proof found on early 1930-1933 Mauser reworked Lugers.
    37. Waffen Amt (Ordinance Department) proof. Found on receivers of 1930-1933 Mauser and Simson reworks.
    38. Barrel and breechblock proofs found on some 1930-1933 reworks AND on some 1934 military examples.
    39. Simson final proof. Appears with proof 37 on Simson reworks.
    40. "Mauser Arbeiten" (Mauser reworked) proof noted on a very few 1930-1933 reworks.
    41. Early Mauser proof found on DWM/Mauser variation.
    42. Mauser commerical (Oberndorf) proof. Noted on commercial and contract Mauser Lugers.
    43. Mauser Military proof noted on "K" and "G" dated examples. Right proof appears on barrel.
    44. Mauser military proof noted on "K" and "G" dated examples. Right proof appears on barrel.
    45. Mauser military proof noted on "G" date and later dated Lugers. Right proof appears on barrel.
    46 & 47. Mauser military proofs. S/42, 42, and BYF coded Lugers. Left and right proofs appear on barrel, right proof on breechblock.
    48. Mauser commercial proof found on some commercial and contract Mausers of the 1935-1942 era. The right proof sometimes appears on the front sight block.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast