Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

1923 Gau Honor Badge-in Brown

Article about: Been looking at this badge and from what I see, the harkenkreuz finish is not black but brown. Are my eyes deceiving me and the finish is really brown but considered black? Anyone have opini

Default 1923 Gau Honor Badge-in Brown

Been looking at this badge and from what I see, the harkenkreuz finish is not black but brown. Are my eyes deceiving me and the finish is really brown but considered black? Anyone have opinions on this one? Looks original with its clasp and maker mark but brown? Thanks in advance for looking and stating your thoughts.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1923 Gau Honor Badge-in Brown   1923 Gau Honor Badge-in Brown  

1923 Gau Honor Badge-in Brown   1923 Gau Honor Badge-in Brown  

1923 Gau Honor Badge-in Brown  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1923 Gau Honor Badge-in Brown
    P
    Many

Quote by Rich Moran View Post
    Been looking at this badge and from what I see, the harkenkreuz finish is not black but brown. Are my eyes deceiving me and the finish is really brown but considered black? Anyone have opinions on this one? Looks original with its clasp and maker mark but brown? Thanks in advance for looking and stating your thoughts.
    That just looks like it's brown in color, in my opinion. Possibly because of the exposure. For me it is a good one.

looks brown to me as well. Can't comment on originality as I have never seen one before

In 25 years as a collector I have never seen a brown version of the NSDAP General Gau Medal of Honor. Such is not shown or mentioned in any of the editions of the organization book of the NSDAP (1937-43) as well.

I can't say if it's good or not, just want to say my observation.
    To me it looks like the enamel is missing, the enamel should be in the same height as the numbers 1923.
    I think that's why it's brownish.
    Read,one older thread from our forum.
    1923 Gau Abzeichen / NSDAP General Honor GAU Badge 1923
    Regards, Jannis.
    1923 Gau Honor Badge-in Brown 1923 Gau Honor Badge-in Brown

Thank you for your replies. Looking closer at the coated finish, along the arms of the harkenkreuz seems like old paint remover or some type of gel chemical was left behind to harden and yellow.

Then the circled areas on the dates, 2 areas lack any coating and on the belly of the 9, looks like what ever the coating is was left behind as a splotch as well.

If the coating should be at the height of the numbers the way this looks makes me wonder if the coating or enamel that was on it was so badly damaged that a poor attempt to repair was performed.

For what the seller is asking for this and what the badge is listed as at near mint it really leaves one scratching their head and wondering about it.

With these questions the same questions I believe would arise when the time comes to move it out of the collection and perhaps would make the sale that much more difficult.

Sad if it was messed with but it sure looks like thats the case with this one.

Also with the image Jannis posted, the badge on the right, the harkenkreuz edges appear sloped and then 1 single straight down edge. On the subject badge the edge appears as though it has a sill and a lip. Strange as I thought only 1 manufacturer produced these. Perhaps the subject badge was an early production but who really knows about that.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1923 Gau Honor Badge-in Brown  

Quote by Rich Moran View Post
    Thank you for your replies. Looking closer at the coated finish, along the arms of the harkenkreuz seems like old paint remover or some type of gel chemical was left behind to harden and yellow.

Then the circled areas on the dates, 2 areas lack any coating and on the belly of the 9, looks like what ever the coating is was left behind as a splotch as well.

If the coating should be at the height of the numbers the way this looks makes me wonder if the coating or enamel that was on it was so badly damaged that a poor attempt to repair was performed.

For what the seller is asking for this and what the badge is listed as at near mint it really leaves one scratching their head and wondering about it.

With these questions the same questions I believe would arise when the time comes to move it out of the collection and perhaps would make the sale that much more difficult.

Sad if it was messed with but it sure looks like thats the case with this one.

Also with the image Jannis posted, the badge on the right, the harkenkreuz edges appear sloped and then 1 single straight down edge. On the subject badge the edge appears as though it has a sill and a lip. Strange as I thought only 1 manufacturer produced these. Perhaps the subject badge was an early production but who really knows about that.

I have here an illustration from the book "Uniforms of the NSDAP" by Jeff Clark (page 241) showing the 1923 and 1925 versions side by side. Both are in the lacquered version.

Read exactly what I write and don't write "Quatsch".
    I only wrote my observation and not one
    expertise about originality.

Quote by johanis1860 View Post
    Read exactly what I write and don't write "Quatsch".
    I only wrote my observation and not one
    expertise about originality.
    Sorry, but I meant this sentence here: "To me it looks like the enamel is missing, the enamel should be in the same height as the numbers 1923.
    I think that's why it's brownish." That's "Quatsch" because there was a painted version! The lacquered pieces were not later lacquered because the enamel had broken off. That's fact. The piece Rich posted is indeed a bit odd. At least the paint job looks kinda weird. Maybe it's the exposure of the photos, who knows. However, it may have been repainted because the original paint had peeled off, as is the case with my piece. In the case of the enameled piece that you posted, the enamel was also repaired in one spot because it had broken off there.