Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1932 -1939 Gauleiter Tunic/Gau Visor

Article about: Posted this on another thread regarding Gauleiter armband. I've had this ensemble for decades and am on the hunt for the potential owner. I've obtained the 3 volume series, Gauleiter by Mich

Thanks for your reply & information NSDAP Sammler.

The medal bar definitely does not match the tunic as it was purchased with the tunic and the seller, Steve Wolfe had nothing else at the time that'd come close to the dating of the tunic. I've thought about trying to locate a more appropriate medal bar but had not gone further than that.

When the later tunics came out, and as you mentioned, these earlier tunics were retired to a closet or possibly used within the Gau office they worked from. I would imagine having 2 or 3 tunics that the owner would possibly rotate but not used during certain events 1939 onwards if the garment was earlier issue but then superseded by a later type. .

The visor is also a mismatch as you pointed out NSDAP Sammler, the political eagle and oak leaf wreath were possibly later additions to update the visor for later use with 39 & later tunics.

This is all a guess at this point as explanations about these things that are out of the standard of what was supposed to be and what it is now is all a giant what if."

You're Welcome! I own two Gau-Level Tunics, both are 1938, but updated to 1939, after the new Rank-Insignia was introduced. Gau-Level tunics got updated very often, so they kept the bright red 38 Piping while the Collar Tabs and Armbands have had the dark red Piping that was introduced in June 1939.

The same applies to the Visors, where the new, large, golden eagle was simply attached, as well as the oak leaves, which were not introduced until 1939. My uniform for the Gau-Hauptbereichsleiter includes such a peaked Visor, which most likely belonged to the same wearer. Anyway, I bought both together. The uniform is a late 1938 with a collar tab for Gau-Hauptbereichsleiter and an armband for Leiter eines Hauptamtes in der Gauleitung, which were used from June 1939. The second piece is a service blouse with 1938 light red piping on the collar and 1939 collar tabs for Ober-Abschnittsleiter and an armband for Leiter eines Amtes in der Gauleitung.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1932 -1939 Gauleiter Tunic/Gau Visor
    P
    Many

"The medal bar definitely does not match the tunic as it was purchased with the tunic and the seller, Steve Wolfe had nothing else at the time that'd come close to the dating of the tunic. I've thought about trying to locate a more appropriate medal bar but had not gone further than that."

I always want to make sure that the badges and medals I attach to a uniform are consistent and understandable. You can probably see that on the two photos of my Gau uniforms. This may be due to my German mentality of always doing everything 100 percent correctly (LOL).

NSDAP Sammler, both of those tunics, visors and medals are a great representation of Gau staff. Great items!

Quote by Rich Moran View Post
    NSDAP Sammler, both of those tunics, visors and medals are a great representation of Gau staff. Great items!
    Thank you! Yes, it needed some Years and Money, to get this together like it is now. But it looks simply great. I've learned a lot from Jeff Clarks Book. There in are phantstic things displayed!

I think the answer has been found on who the Gauleiter was that owned this tunic. Sent images to Jeff Clark & he advised the Gauleiter tunic in my collection is most likely was Robert Wagner as only a few Gauleiters were awarded the BO as the tunic I have has a BO ribbon affixed to the right pocket flap. His size is that of a small frame & the other Gauleiters awarded the BO are larger, heavier men.

Many years ago a fellow I know, who is a size 36 and about 5'5" tried the tunic on. It barely fit him and he was able to button the front buttons but it was a tight fit. Robert Wagner is the only Gauleiter of thin stature, small frame size awarded the BO.

With that the link to this thread where late Bob Coleman bought a similar tunic describes R. Wagners medals. The information there will aid in getting the correct medals to match Wagners awards to the tunic in my collection.

Link to late Bob Colemans posting of the tunic he had.

Uniform Of Gauleiter Robert Wagner

Quote by Rich Moran View Post
    I think the answer has been found on who the Gauleiter was that owned this tunic. Sent images to Jeff Clark & he advised the Gauleiter tunic in my collection is most likely was Robert Wagner as only a few Gauleiters were awarded the BO as the tunic I have has a BO ribbon affixed to the right pocket flap. His size is that of a small frame & the other Gauleiters awarded the BO are larger, heavier men.

Many years ago a fellow I know, who is a size 36 and about 5'5" tried the tunic on. It barely fit him and he was able to button the front buttons but it was a tight fit. Robert Wagner is the only Gauleiter of thin stature, small frame size awarded the BO.

With that the link to this thread where late Bob Coleman bought a similar tunic describes R. Wagners medals. The information there will aid in getting the correct medals to match Wagners awards to the tunic in my collection.

Link to late Bob Colemans posting of the tunic he had.

Uniform Of Gauleiter Robert Wagner
    Your assumption could be correct, because both tunics (Yours and Colemans) have piping made of a kind of felt fabric, both on the collar and on the collar tabs. Cello was mostly used for this. Your tunic is made from a thinner, lighter garbadine for spring and summer, while Coleman's tunic is made from a thicker, heavier garbadine for fall and winter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2