Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Coburg Badge and a Coburg badge stick pin

Article about: Looked for years to add the Coburg badge stick pin to my 2nd type RZM Coburg badge. I've had the Coburg badge for over 30 years and seeing the stick pin came a flood of motivation to purchas

Default Coburg stick pin opinions?

Hi all just asking about this coburg stick pin?
    Would be grateful for any opinions and price
    Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coburg Badge and a Coburg badge stick pin   Coburg Badge and a Coburg badge stick pin  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Coburg Badge and a Coburg badge stick pin
    P
    Many

Looks good to me. Unaware if reproduction stickpins were ever made. Can't discuss pricing on this forum, whats it worth stuff.

Cheers rich. Just asking about pricing because I was thinking of purchasing it. Buyer wants 1100 euro?

Hi,
    Quite a lot of Coburg stickpins have surfaced in the past 2-3 years, I would be cautious...
    Some of these stickpins have been auctioned for 400-500€ at auctions houses (Ratisbons)

Quote by Ianto999 View Post
    Cheers rich. Just asking about pricing because I was thinking of purchasing it. Buyer wants 1100 euro?
    expensive! too expensive for my blood. but if your in want....

looking closer at my stick pin and that of Ianto999 then comparing to the link Map provided that has several of these posted.

I am unsettled on both of these stick pins. Notice the sword, how it starts thin, then bulges towards the center. Then thins some to the point.

At the link Map posted, posted stick pins swords are straight, exactly the way the full size badge is.

And I stand corrected, at that link it is listed there are known reproductions.

I am now thinking to return it to the seller seeing this much to my chagrin. Its a lot of $ to make an error with.

Thoughts forum members?

Here are 3 known original stick pins seen at the bottom. These are all uniform in blade shape. Look at the original stick pins outer leaf band. The detail present. Note on my OP of my acquisition, the top 2 images, the U in COBURG has serfs on it. Ianto999 posted one does not have serfs on the U but the blade on the sword is the same. Also on my OP example the leaves surrounding the outer circumference lack ay detail as that of the posted original badges seen here. Is it time to write the dealer about this and present the evidence? Thoughts fellow forum members?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coburg Badge and a Coburg badge stick pin   Coburg Badge and a Coburg badge stick pin  

Attached Images Attached Images Coburg Badge and a Coburg badge stick pin  Coburg Badge and a Coburg badge stick pin  Coburg Badge and a Coburg badge stick pin 

?

Rich, I can only concur with your observations. The bulge in the blade and the lack of wreath details would be enough to place doubt in my mind. Once that seed of doubt has been planted it's hard shake off. The dealer also listed a set with the full size badge as well. Unfortunately the images aren't large enough to compare but it looks like the stick pin has the same bulge in the blade. Whether or not that's indicative of it being a replica is hard to say.

Small blood order / Coburg grouping to Hans Kress, nr 996

Regards, Al

Rich,
    Are we sure the 3 stick pins (all uniform in blade shape) that you posted at the bottom are known original ? The details are actually quite poor... Look especially at the swastika and the inscription.
    The stickpins with the bulge on the blade have better details to me (except for the wreath). All in all I would be more confortable with your stickpin !
    Considering there were 2 different types of Coburg badge (and among the 2nd pattern even different RZM marks) it cannot be excluded there were also 2 different types of Coburg stickpin. Just an assumption.
    In post #20 Reinhard mentionned that your stickpin is a 1st type. He may have more information on this topic.
    Regarding the stickpin in the "Hans Kress grouping" it seems to be uniform in blade shape (no bulge). But it's not a stickpin with rock solid provenance. I know for sure this grouping has been reconstituted : The Coburg badge and the stickpin have been added recently to the BO to make a "grouping" and bring added value. Two months ago the BO had a nice original ribbon all sewn up which has sadly been removed but that's another story...

Quote by schoenwurf View Post
    Rich,
    Are we sure the 3 stick pins (all uniform in blade shape) that you posted at the bottom are known original ? The details are actually quite poor... Look especially at the swastika and the inscription.
    The stickpins with the bulge on the blade have better details to me (except for the wreath). All in all I would be more confortable with your stickpin !
    Considering there were 2 different types of Coburg badge (and among the 2nd pattern even different RZM marks) it cannot be excluded there were also 2 different types of Coburg stickpin. Just an assumption.
    In post #20 Reinhard mentionned that your stickpin is a 1st type. He may have more information on this topic.
    Regarding the stickpin in the "Hans Kress grouping" it seems to be uniform in blade shape (no bulge). But it's not a stickpin with rock solid provenance. I know for sure this grouping has been reconstituted : The Coburg badge and the stickpin have been added recently to the BO to make a "grouping" and bring added value. Two months ago the BO had a nice original ribbon all sewn up which has sadly been removed but that's another story...
    Hello schoenwurf, I've not had much time to invest in further research.

Have been dealing with overflow of water damaging dry wall and had to tear a shower out and main bath tile as well to get rid of mold and water saturation.

Finally have 98% of all of it under control as contractors have been in and out daily.

Regarding the stick pin I am still uncertain of it be original or not yet.

I agree the detail is better than what is seen below in this image taken from the Coburg Badge Blogspot where the other images were also sourced from. As the the blobs seen on the harkenkreuz of earlier posted stick pins make me wonder. Then again these are so small it would seem that who ever made them accepted the flaw as there are more than one of these stickpins seen.

I think maybe there were more than 2 types of stick pins made as most of these were possibly one or two off produced, after all not that many 1st or 2nd type full size Coburg badges were awarded. So one who wished to acquire a stick pin may have gone back to the source of where the full size badge was issued and they either worked with that individual or perhaps referred them to a jeweler who could assist in producing one. It's anyone's guess at this point.

With information being so limited due to so few made I am not sure where to research more than I already have.

I'll PM Reinhard to see if he will post a reply here to elaborate on what he originally posted.

Thank you for taking the time to psot what you posted, I am hungry for the information!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coburg Badge and a Coburg badge stick pin  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3