MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Friekorps Wehrwolf armband

Article about: I was hoping to get opinions on this Wehrwolf armband from the Weimar Republic era. It looks pretty good but I'm not convinced on the actual skull and the material. I only have one photo to

?

Default Friekorps Wehrwolf armband

I was hoping to get opinions on this Wehrwolf armband from the Weimar Republic era. It looks pretty good but I'm not convinced on the actual skull and the material. I only have one photo to compare it to from Robin Lumsden's collection. While it looks similar it also has some subtle differences. Feel free to comment or give opinions, your guess is as good as mine. I would love to add it to my collection if it's real alongside my Wehrwolf collar tab TK's. Thanks in advance
    Sorry if I posted in the wrong area, not sure where to put it.

Al

Credit: Robin Lumsden

Friekorps Wehrwolf armbandFriekorps Wehrwolf armbandFriekorps Wehrwolf armband

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Friekorps Wehrwolf armband
    P
    Many

?

This is what I'm questioning most, the textile weave in the white areas. I'm not sure if this would be out of the ordinary for a period piece. Any opinions welcome.

Dos
    ?

It's completely diffrent from the one you are showing from Robin Lumsden. The outer edge has no stitched border. The weave patern on the skull is diffrent, and looks more machine made.

But the thing i find most strange is the white threads that are showing on the wolfsangel on the sides. It does not look right in comparison to the whole state of the armband.

But then again, maybe there were more variants made of these bands.

I don't have any real experience in these things. But this is just my opinion.

If it's real, it would be a nice show piece

Cheers,

Dos

?

Thanks Dos, there are quite a few differences but I assume these early organizations were less regulated in insignia and other regalia than the NSDAP. The problem is I only have one example to compare it too and the period photo's don't reveal enough detail to fill in the blanks. You are right about the wolfsangle runes, good point. It appears the red band was cutout into the shape of the runes thereby exposing the loose un-dyed threads, where as the band in Robin's photo appears to have the runes embroidered or hand stitched onto the red band. It's hard to tell from the photo. Sometimes you only see what you want to see when you really want to buy something. I am less convinced now of originality. Thank you for the second look at it, Al

Dos
    ?

No problem, Love these things.

I've searched a bit further and found some that have been sold in the past. One with a lot of other related things. And one that was sold seperatly. Both looked more like the variant that you show from the picture of Robin Lumsden. Both have the Wolfsangel embroidered or hand sitched on top. And have the similar weave patern on the skull. Hope it helps. Goodluck, Dos

?

Well this armband reappeared on the e medals website again so I assume it was returned and they're giving it another try.

?

It's selling on emedals once more, the reruns never end. Maybe the third time is a charm for them but a stinker for whoever buys it.