Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help Identifying this tunic?

Article about: Hi all. I need some help identifying this tunic. My first assumption based on a quick glance was Forestry, but I'm second guessing myself based on the tabs and shoulder boards. I've not seen

?

Default Need help Identifying this tunic?

Hi all.

I need some help identifying this tunic. My first assumption based on a quick glance was Forestry, but I'm second guessing myself based on the tabs and shoulder boards. I've not seen these collar tab devices before, nor have I come across this style of tab. Also, the smooth metal appearance of the shoulder board buttons (versus pebbled or textured) has me scratching my head as well. I'm not looking necessarily for authentication of the tunic (at this point) since the photos are horrible, I am simply interested in identifying the tunic first. I can at least ID it I can get better photos (assuming it's worth pursuing).

Thanks!
    Dzyner

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help Identifying this tunic?
    P
    Many

The shoulder boards are post war, my guess is the whole thing is, but wait for the more knowledgeable to comment.

?

Thanks Douglas. That was my fear, but wanted to be sure. Still, I will wait for others to reply as well.

My guess is its a West German Customs Tunic c.1960's but it could be forrestry, I dont really know.

It's rather absurdly put together from post-war components:

The tunic is from the Bundesgrenzschutz [Federal Border Guard].

The collar patches are from the Bavarian Landespolizei [State Police]; rank is Polizei-Hauptmeister. Collar rank insignia were worn from 1965 to 1974. They were preceded by stripes worn on the lower sleeves and replaced by shoulder boards with rank stars.
    Have a look here for more info: Polizeihistorische Sammlung - Bayern 1965-74

The shoulder boards are Bundeswehr [Army]. Rank is Unteroffizier. The green branch color is for infantry (including mountain infantry) and Panzer Grenadiers.

And the EK2 ribbon has no business being there.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 08-25-2015 at 05:12 PM.

I believe this may be a mix...A West-German Police Tunic with various postwar-manufactured insignia...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Thanks everyone for your help and insight into this tunic. I had my hunches but wanted to be sure before making a mistake.