Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

SA uniform questions

Article about: Hello everyone, I am trying to recreate the uniform of an SA Truppfuehrer of Horst Wessel's Sturm 5 in 1929. For this reason, the photos and documents available to me are much less than that

Default SA uniform questions

Hello everyone,

I am trying to recreate the uniform of an SA Truppfuehrer of Horst Wessel's Sturm 5 in 1929. For this reason, the photos and documents available to me are much less than that of Roehm's SA, as prior to his acquisition of power regulations were developing but a lot of variation is still seen. I have several questions pertaining to the specifics of this impression, and I will list the items I wish to use for this uniform, as well as any photo evidence necessary for each part. Again, this impression is in reference to pre-1930 uniform regulations.

(Head to toe)

SA cap: SA Schaftmutze - Entwurf vor 1933 (Klicken Sie, um die Grosse zu wahlen) - War Militaria

Kepi is of the pre-1933 design, before color was used to denote geographic location. Per personal preference, I would like to shape this "coffee can" kepi into more of a soft cap. Photos of soft caps can be seen below. One question I have about the caps is the use of the eagle pin (Reichsadler). I have seen many types of cap configurations and wanted to make sure the eagle pin could stay on the cap. and was not too early or uncommon for 1929.

SA uniform questionsSA uniform questionsSA uniform questionsSA uniform questions

Shirt: SA Hemd - Sturmabteilung uniform shirt - repro L 74,75 € | Nestof.pl

This seems to be the best reproduction shirt on the market. I see little that needs to be altered with my untrained eye, aside from the shoulder button, which must be removed as shoulder straps were introduced between 1930 and 1932. My only question about this shirt refers to the black and white tresse that lines the collar. I have seen photos of collars without a tresse (below), but this may just be due to lack of regulation rather than a rank indication. The famous photo of Horst Wessel (below) shows a collar tresse, but he is a Sturmfuehrer in this photo, and I am not sure if this is something reserved for officers or not.

SA uniform questionsSA uniform questions

Collar tabs: I am having these made as a special order from a private party. Per 1929 ranks, as Truppfuehrer the right tab will have two pips, and the left tab will indicate Sturm (in my case 5 for Sturm 5). I have also seen that Standarte was indicated on the same tab in addition to Sturm, and that this began in 1928, but I do not know to what extent this was seen before 1930. Any photo of Wessel in uniform, in addition to other photos (below), has shown only the Sturm number. I have also seen collar tabs that have been outlined in tresse (referring to photo of Wessel above), and some without tresse (below), and I wonder if this is another example of rank indication.

SA uniform questions

Tie: SA (Sturmabteilung) brownshirts tie.

Party Pin: NSDAP Lapel Badge

Armband: I have an excellent wool three peice armband I have purchased from a private party.

Cross strap: SS Black Leather Sam Browne Cross Strap from Hessen Antique

Using black leather as there is evidence for both brown and black leather (previous photos shared indicate this).

Belt: https://www.hessenantique.com/Office...m?1=1&CartID=2

I am aware of the use of SA buckles significantly prior to 1930, but I have also seen buckles similar to that in the link. Evidence of this can be seen in the previous photos shared, these are possibly civilian belts or belts from WWI. That being said, I have only seen these buckles worn by those who appear to show leadership positions, including Wessel himself, so I am not sure if this is again a designation of rank (although I am doubtful of this) or if the matter was personal preference).

Breeches:

https://nestof.pl/en/products/german...epro-8289.html

These are the best breeches I have seen on the market. Per personal preference, I would like to darken them so as to make the breeches a darker shade of brown than the shirt. Darker breeches are shown below.

SA uniform questions

Khaki puttees: https://historybunker.com/product/ww...-army-puttees/

Puttees are less common in photos I have seen, but this is again personal preference (haha). WW1 British puttees are an excellent candidate for this as they are khaki colored. Evidence of puttees that I have seen is shown below.

SA uniform questionsSA uniform questionsSA uniform questions

Low boots (Schnurschuhe): I have a pair of WWII Schnurschuhe that I believe would be suitable for this. The evidence for puttees has also indicated some use of footwear that appears to look like low boots. I also believe this to be a realistic option as many former soldiers returning from World War I may have used their old shoes from the trenches, and WWI low boots are almos tidentical to WWII low boots.

Final question: In the photo of Horst Wessel shared under the shirt section, Wessel wears a small pin on the right pocket. What pin is this?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post. If anyone can provide suggestions for this uniform or answers pertraining to my questions, I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone would like more photo evidence, or would like to know the context of any photo, I would be happy to provide.

Regards,

Ian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA uniform questions
    P
    Many