Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1929 Unit Marked Reichswehr Buckle

Article about: This was my most recent purchase and second reichswehr buckle. This one is covered in markings, a 1929 date and unreadable makers mark (maybe someone can interpret this maker) ,unit marked

Quote by Seafox View Post
    I was thinking exactly the same.

Does anyone know what the green residue on the back beneath the prongbar is ? I have a Reichsheer buckle with exactly the same sticky green wax, but also a post-war Berlin Polizei buckle that has it.
    Is it residue of maintenance or polishing wax for the metal buckle ? Or some kind of leather wax from the belt ?

Very nice buckle and tab Bodhi !

Kind regards

Hi Seafox.

I believe it’s called Verdigris - A bright bluish-green encrustation or patina formed on copper or brass by atmospheric oxidation, consisting of basic copper carbonate.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1929 Unit Marked Reichswehr Buckle
    P
    Many

?

Hi willmore, thanks for your reply.

No intention of wanting to be pedantic, but I think it is not Verdigris. That indeed sticks to a lot of buckles, especially brass based ones, I agree. But this material is more like some kind of wax. It even smells like it and melts like it when touched.

Kind regards

Hi Seafox.

No worries!

I’m not 100% sure either to be honest, hopefully another member will be able to help us uncover what it actually is. I have the very same ‘residue’ on the metal fittings of webbing, weapon slings and helmet liners and as I say, iv never been 100% sure what it is.

?

I also tried to find more details about the unit on your belt Bodhi.

A German Wikipedia page gave no more than 7 Artillery Regiments during the Reichsheer era. But another source (Traces of War) mentioned a Hans Wagner as Batterieführer (Battery commander) of a 17th Artillery Regiment in the 17th Reichswehr Brigade located in Danzig (now Polish Gdansk).

Axishistory mentioned a 17th Westpreussisches Fussartillerie (literally feet-artillery, so I imagine very light artillery) existing during the Weimar era.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find more yet.

Kind regards

I greatly Appreciate you doing so much research on my behalf, very interesting information you have found so far.

?

Great thread. Another interesting older Reichswehr link. Nice to see some new collectors

1935 - Berg & Nolte - Unit Marked

Cheers - Jeff

?

Hi there,
    IMO, the roman 'I' as a marking only means that it was the first (1st) set (belt lock) of the soldier.
    The soldier had 3 sets to choose from in the locker. Condition from good (I) to bad (III), which then live in barracks for fighting, work (drill) and training.
    Regards,
    kabl

P. S. Nice Buckle coole Militaria

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2